Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

new rider needs help

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  beki.bianconeri 
#1 ·
got financed a 2017 ninja winter test edition with 671 miles is that a lot miles??? ...it be my first street bike had a ktm 250xc-w. going to go and look at it next week and hopefully get it ... if it was broke in right it should be good ??? thanks michael

#2 · (Edited)
How much are you paying for it and at what rate? I got my '16 300 brand new right after they came out last year for $4500ish OTD. Qualified for 5% $0 down. ZERO miles on the odometer; I HIGHLY recommend you do the break in yourself, do you really trust other strangers to do it (it sounds like a demo bike)? They also did not require full coverage. Today they are still worth the same, lol, my local dealership does well with sales. For reference, sale price of the bike was around $3600, then you had the new vehicle charges such as delivery and setup (which usually add up to $500-1000 by the way). I think the bike was around $4,050ish (after these fees) + TTL. If you buy a used '13-15, you might be looking at $2500-$3000 + TTL (which is a hell of a lot cheaper than what most dealerships want for a brand new bike).

That's another thing, my personal advice from my lovely experiences, if I could do it over again, I wouldn't buy new. Take the extra $1k-1.5k and buy GOOD gear, that saved my life once before (doctor said without my jacket I'd have a punctured lung and wouldn't have made it to the ER), and I'm sure it'll save it again some time. There are so many beginner bikes to be found for under $2500; sure it's old, but it's something you can sell when you're done with it for what you paid, and it's something that, if you drop it, you don't get P/O'd. The 300 is a great bike, and I'm sure you could find some decent ones in the $2000 range. I know it isn't what you want to hear, but it is my biggest regret with my bike. I didn't even have the chance to take off the temp tags before someone totalled it; here we are a year later, and my attorneys are still struggling with the case (I am not at fault, the other driver was, complex situation, bad insurance company, etc). My brother was also in a similar accident just recently, and despite being NAF, it appears that it is going to be a similar struggle for him. Oh, while we're on the topic, buy a helmet camera!!

Here's a listing of used 300s and the price to expect from them:
https://www.cycletrader.com/Kawasak...8344&model=ninja 300|764858052&trim=300|2851&

If the link didn't work, I just filtered Ninja 300s for 2014-2016 then sorted price low to high; the cheapest is $2k. I might recommend the ABS, but that is up to you. Most of these will negotiate.

PS, not too sure what exactly I am allowed to say here, but to be honest, if you've already practiced with a 250, I'm not sure that I'd recommend such a small bike to start on. Especially, if anything, a brand new one! Everyone I know who started on a 300 sold it within 3-6 months of ownership, even people who swore to keep it for at least a year. People who have ridden once or twice in their life on a buddy's dirt bike, and then at the MSF course. Since mine is totaled, I'm trying to rebuild as a track bike. It's a great bike, it just depends on what you want to use it for; if you want to practice track skills on it, then go for it, but for learning to ride on the streets, if you already have experience, then why not a 650? *MAYBE* a 636 depending on how much experience you have with your 250.

#3 ·
4.999 plus tax , and tags.. my 250 was a dirt bike ... somebody got it. then trade it in a few months later... the dealer sad it was broke in the right way????? dont no what the rate is... got to pay 2500$$ down my credit sucks .. cosigner a loan for my sister ..was looking at a r3 sold out.. got a blue ninja and a white and black ninja ... red and black cbr 300r and a black cbr michael

#4 · (Edited)
Yeah, I wouldn't do it to be honest. $2500 will get you a used one in good condition. $3100 or so would include TTL.

Here is my local dealership. Prices are OTD. If I'm not mistaken, it was actually slightly cheaper when I purchased... but nonetheless, they will probably do the 17 for $5400 or so OTD. Are you certain it's only 4,999 + TTL? My guess is they haven't even added the dealer fees yet. We have a couple of other dealerships in the area who do this, but they don't tell you until you go to purchase it. They also sell at the price you stated, went and looked the other day (I think it is retail).

http://www.kawasakicityirving.com/d...r&d=D&t=new&sq=300&year=2016&fr=xNewInventory

With a 3 year loan, you're going to be paying close to $1000 in interest at 20%. Even if you sell the bike to upgrade in a year, you will have already paid well over $500 in interest. This is due to how the amortization of a loan works. You said you have bad credit, so I don't really have a guess what your rate will be with a cosigner. If you have bad credit, I highly recommend getting a secured credit card and never carrying a balance on it; work your way up to a small loan eventually with a decent rate (10%), pay on time etc, credit goes up. If you are well off financially, this is a good chance to boost your credit, but otherwise, I'd try to stick to cash on something like this. It's a learning bike, and we all make mistakes. That's just my 2 cents of course :)

PS as I write this I keep forgetting it has 700 miles on it. It is practically used, no matter who put the miles on it. Break-in isn't extremely important, but still, I wouldn't trust a dealership that tries to convince you of this. Keep that in mind when you purchase; again, not sure if they've put delivery etc on it yet.

#7 ·
The dealer more than likely has no idea how that bike was broke in, and if possible try to negotiate the interest rate on the loan (they will hit you hard here at any type of dealership, tried to get me for 15%). As for buying a used 17 for 5k, I don't know but I wouldn't do it. In the end though if you really like it (and dislike other colors) is a couple hundred going to matter? Used is obviously a great deal if you can find the one you want.

#9 ·
At ~700mi, it's not through the break in period yet, per the book the break in takes 1000mi. The dealer telling you the bike was broken in properly is false on 2 counts:
1) Bike is still in the break in period
2) Dealer has no idea how the bike was ridden for those first ~700mi

Was it listed as "new" or "used"?
If "new", then it was likely used as a demo bike and should have been much cheaper
If "new" and not a demo bike, it shouldn't have ~700mi on the clock
If "used", then it should have been much cheaper

Looks to me you only saved 600$ off the MSRP for what is effectively a used bike, and paying interest on that too? I can't say you're getting a particularly good deal. For the cost of it (and the cost of borrowing) you would be better off paying cash for a used 2013+ model and saving half the cost.

EDIT: I see you picked up a different bike, which is probably a better option, but I'm not sure I would have gone back to the same dealer based on how shady they sounded to me.

#10 ·
EDIT: I see you picked up a different bike, which is probably a better option, but I'm not sure I would have gone back to the same dealer based on how shady they sounded to me. i should went somewhere else... the sells men said barely used... to high for a used bike i try to post picture . need more post to do it????

#11 ·
Hello everyone. Im the new one on this forum so I got some questions and I hope you guys are gonna find some time and answer it.

I am passionate stick shift driver (just moved to States from europe) and I felt that now is the time to get a motorbike so Im probably getting ninja300 as my first motorcycle. As probably all of you before, right now Im doing researches and 1000 of videos on youtube so I really dont understand some things.

When I type Ninja 300 2017 krt abs (thats the one that I am planning to get by next spring (2018) I cant actually notice any difference between 2017 and 2016, so Im asking you guys whats the difference?

Where to buy it (I woul take a loan)..Is there any specific store for Ninjas or what?

Im 6'3'' and weight around 220pds. Is that gonna be a problem, is Ninja too small?

Did you guys make any mistakes when you buy your first one, what is your advice, any recommendations, 2017 oe 2016, new or used? How much is the tax and is there any interest on loan. Do I have to spend a lot on suits, helmets and those things? I only know that I want ninja with good quality, not damaged and should it be 2016, or 2017. Maybe the 2017 model price is going to be lower by beggining of 2018.

However, guys thank you very much and if I wrote this post on wrong topic, please let me know where should I do it in future?
Hope in 2018 I will be one of you :D

THANKS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.