Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

Insurance rates, does this seem like a ok deal?

17K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  xorbe 
#1 ·
Picking up my 2016 ninja 300 abs tomorrow, gotta put insurance on it.
Driving record has been clean for over 5 years, no tickets, no accidents in over 10 years. "knock on wood"
Credit score is excellent

Got a quote from my car insurance company (progressive) they want $320 for a year.
This is total loss coverage for comprehensive and collision with $500 deductible.

I know there are many factors that determine rates but in general, does this seem fair or should i look else where?

#5 ·
I am 32, i feel a bit odd since its my 1st bike.

Sounds about right for my area, provided it's not your first year of riding.
This is my 1st bike, never ridden before. I went ahead and payed it, didn't feel like shopping around since i've put around 2 weeks into just browsing for gear.
Then I found a great deal on some smx 6 vented boots.... they sent me what looked to be regular rubber rain boots. Amazon ftw.

#9 · (Edited)
Progressive gives me the best rate in my area.

$300 a year isn't bad for full coverage though. My first insured bike was a 1000rr. I was paying $80/mo for full. 10 years later, I pay much less for all 3 of my bikes. Oddly, I was thinking about getting a Panigale about a year or 2 ago and they wanted $1,500/yr for full coverage. Screw that!

#11 ·
As I mentioned earlier , Gieco wanted 1200 for full coverage .. currently I have liability for $127 a year .. it's just insane the difference between full coverage and liability.Gieco was the cheapest others were more expensive ..
My driving record is clean, no accidents no tickets . I have 3 cars insured with Gieco .

#12 ·
Be careful with progressive. In NJ, we are required to carry pedestrian PIP. I have that set to $250k. My liability coverage and Uninsured/under insured coverage are 250k/500k/100k.

For the pedestrian PIP, there is a 20% Co pay on their policy. Other companies I've been with (Geico, allstate, state farm) do not have this co-pay.

What that means is if u injure a pedestrian and he goes to the hospital, and the bill comes out to $100k, progressive will pay $80k. You are liable for the $20k (the 20% copay).

Check your coverages.

My rates are a tad lower than yours. $250 deductibles for collision and comprehensive along with maxed out liability and UI coverage and $15k medical coverage and I'm a bit under $300/yr.

#13 ·
I have all state and I pay around ~$546 for a year for full coverage - $100 deductible and then I have whats called full "tort" meaning if somehow I injure someone they can't sue me but the insurance will pay out up to like 200k.

#14 · (Edited)
From my understanding, that's not what full tort means. In NJ, there's a choice between limited tort and full tort.

Full tort policies are about 20% higher for me. Full tort allows you to sue the other party.

Limited tort only allows you to sue them if your injuries meet certain (limited) criteria. Losing a limb or eye, etc.

There is no way you can prevent someone from suing you (that I know of).

PS - are you in NJ or PA? These are the only 2 states that I know of that have this option.

#16 ·
Yeah, you are all are lucky (except for the Ontario guy). Most insurance companies around me (near Detroit/Michigan in general) charge about $2000/year (FYI - one ticket and I'm 26). Luckily, for some reason, Allstate charged me only $800/year upfront so I went with them.

#17 ·
Funny I read into this thread, was thinking bout calling up my insurance and seeing how much more would it be to up my coverage limits and all. I think current I have 25k/50k/25k with PIP and 500 deductible comp and collision. I'm 28 in NY and my current premium is 420.62 which comes out to pretty much 35 a month.

I do want to call to play with numbers and see how much is the difference for more coverage limits or whateva

#21 ·
Hah. To make you all feel worse, with USAA I have a $0 deductible on my 2015 ZX6R and pay about $400 a year. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.