Getting Learnt - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Getting Learnt

Hi there all, things have been great over here in CO. Taking my MSF course this month so I can finally get rid of my learners!

Anywho, few things I'd like to mention to possibly get some feedback or general discussion.
4000+ miles on bike
first things first,
I changed my oil and ONLY took 1.8L out of the bike with the bike warmed up and filter removed. Also the oil was JET black and very very very thick, even after warm up. This concerns me because before the oil change the clutch didnt seem to hold onto second gear well. Now after the oil change, put 2.2 in of castroil 10w40 full syn then added more per the owners manual took about 2.5 in all, the transmission is much smoother and second seems to stick much better.
Running a bike on old and low oil isn't good, is there any other issues I should check on? The bike seems to run fine but My experience is zero.

Also, put-putting around in first gear. Is pretty fucking terrible, I drove a speed3 for a long time and considered 1st a roll gear only in that car and consider the same for the ninja.
I know there are options for leveling out first gear but I'd like to work on my throttle input before I start modding too heavily.
I've noticed that my throttle actually sticks very very slightly, this seems to rear it's head when the throttle is sensitive to input (lol 1st gear).
Whats the best way to correct this issue? lube the cable? lube the handle? it's a very minor but i'd rather not have cruise control for .3 millisec. Obviously, experience is the correct answer but I'd like to fix this stick before it gets worse and bites me in the asshoolll.

Lastly (maybe), I was about to make a left turn out of a suicide lane and braked heavily with front, rear brakes and the clutch in. I noticed some minor shaking in the front of the bike, so I automatically conclude the head bearings need replaced and that I'm perfect and would never cause the bike to act in such a way!
I believe if I would've downshifted appropriately I would've maintained control of the bike better. Still think replacing the head bearing is a good idea after reading some other posts. The last thing I would ever want my bike to do i start flailing around on me on some ruble strips or something.

Thanks guys, stay safe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 02:28 PM
Forum Champion

Garage
If you're not getting wobble when you're riding in a straight line, it's highly unlikely that your bearings are shot.

It's a girl on a bike...it's Rogue!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter: @Rogue_300
Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram: Rogue_300

Do you rock it?

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 03:01 PM

I couldn't imagine low oil affecting anything else really. Good to hear you changed it with good quality oil and topped it back up. Keep an eye on the level over the coming weeks to make sure the bike isn't burning/leaking oil.

My throttle is similar to yours but you will get used to it. Mine never "sticks" but it does feel a little jumpy between positions which is most notable at slow speeds in first. I've gotten used to it though.

From your description of the shaking, I would look into the brake rotors to make sure they're in good condition and straight. As stated above, bearing problems generally also occur when travelling straight at normal speed but can be more pronounced under braking.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

def good advice to keep an eye on oil level and check the rotors, thanks.

I noticed it when I was braking from about 50mph, I try to always roll on the throttle when turning.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 12:06 AM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
The minor shaking could be the ABS system. I'ld definitely suggest changing the oil more frequently. Make sure your chain is cleaned and adjusted correctly as well (if your oil was so bad then I'ld hate to think what condition the chain is in)

amateur racer #128
race sponsor-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page