What Would You Have Done: Lane Merging Edition - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

What Would You Have Done: Lane Merging Edition

Quote:
As motorcyclists, we’re all too familiar with car drivers merging into our lanes, seemingly blind to the fact we’re occupying the lane they are trying to merge into. But what’s proper etiquette when a two-lane road turns into one? Which order should vehicles in a double-file line let each other into a single-file line? Whatever your answer, it’s probably not what this woman was thinking as she comes from behind this motorcyclist and co-occupies the lane he’s in. He then gets upset, honks the horn a few times, gives the driver a quick lesson in merging, calls her a choice expletive then rides on.

Normally that’s where a story like this would end. Instead, he spots a police officer up ahead, flags him down, and sticks him on the car driver.
Read more about the What Would You Have Done: Lane Merging Edition at Motorcycle.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 01:49 PM
Veteran

Garage
I don't think he went too far. That lady seriously needed a reality check, she doesn't get to do whatever she feels is justified, she has to follow the laws. Her lane was the one that ended so it's her responsibility to get into the left lane safely. What else are the police for? It's their job to help with citizen complaints. I'm not sure how I would have handled the situation, possibly exactly the same way. I ride with a camera so I have evidence of others' stupidity.

With that being said, I am not about to put myself in danger when other people want to be stupid. You have to use common sense, I wouldn't have risked getting run over. No one cares about your life but yourself so it's your responsibility to make sure you don't die over something stupid like this lady's huge ego. Too many motorcyclists die over ridiculous road rage incidents which escalate far too quickly, and factually that honda is much bigger than the bike he's on.

Current vehicles:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: Yoshi R77 slip-on / Custom stitched 75th Sturgis Corbin seat / Zero Gravity tinted double bubble windshield

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous vehicles:
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Owned from 3.3K to 10.8K, Sold privately to buy Ninja 300)
2009 Chevrolet Cobalt 5MT 2LT 2.2L I4 2-Door (Owned from New-93K, Traded for Cruze)
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix 4AT SE 3.1L V6 4-Door (First car, Owned from 93K-133K, Traded for Cobalt)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 02:46 PM
Veteran

Garage
Positioning positioning positioning. In that situation, after the first intersection I would have plopped myself on the right side of the left lane, nearer to the white line to visually occupy the full lane. In the video, the rider is nearer the middle or even the right side. The car driver is 100% at fault, however with a little positioning, the "apparent" space disappears. If she can't see a "lane" (or a third of a lane), then it's less likely she will try and share. That being said, if she's coming on over anyway I'll yield. Rather be slowed down by one car length than "dead right".

Flagging down the cop was 100% justified. If a cager BULLIES their way into a lane that's not theirs, it is not likely the first time and certainly won't be the last time. Trying to sort it out on your own will just leave both parties furious, where as a fine for failure to yield may teach a lesson, even if the only lesson learned is "I don't want to pay expensive fines so maybe I should actually try following some of the rules of the road." If that second-guessing saves even just one person from getting run the-eff over, it is worth it.
Chevrasaki likes this.

2012 Honda NC700SA
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 300

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 03:10 PM
Post Whore

Here's the video for those too lazy to click on the link:

Riding it like I financed it.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 03:35 PM
Post Whore

This happens all the time. Especially in high traffic urban environments. 99% of the time, I just let it go. Not worth it to "be right" and get in front of some:
A - Asshat
B - Incompetent driver
C - Crazy driver
D - Road rage driver
E - Driver who may have had a really bad day.
F - Mentally unstable driver
Chevrasaki likes this.

Riding it like I financed it.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 07:04 PM
Veteran

Garage
I think driving a motorcycle is a blend of knowing when to be aggressive and when to be submissive. In this situation as soon as I saw that car pass my front wheel she can have that lane. Its really not worth it to jockey for position, especially since none of us are being paid to race.

If we were in the wild, as animals (stay with me here), the bigger/stronger/more powerful animal would be the top of the food chain and our little scrawny rabbit like body would not be at the bottom. In a nutshell, that is how I approach motorcycling. I am fast and quick and nimble but I will always stay out of your way.
cadd and Raven Hunter like this.

2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300
The Following User Says Thank You to jrkleinow For This Useful Post:
char84 (07-08-2016)
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 09:32 PM
Veteran

Garage
I would have done the same thing or taken the video and sent it to the police with a clear shot of her license plate if i don't see a cop around.

The rider is justified in flagging the cop. I do recommend getting out of their way after the initial interaction though - not worth it to risk our lives fighting with a car.
cadd likes this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 12:37 AM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
One of the things I try to do when I know there's a Merge coming up is #1 heed the merge signs and not be in the lane that's ending. #2 Get in position to defend the crap outta my lane. In this case that would have meant getting to the far right of the left hand lane. I'm claiming it; it's mine. #3 I'm watching traffic behind me to make sure no one's about to come flying around and cut me off or squeeze in front. We're on bikes, we've got the size advantage and acceleration advantage. If someone is coming up from the lane that ends and I don't want them in front of me, I give it the beans and stay in front of them ... or let 'em go. If I choose to stay in front I can always increase the gap to the vehicle in front of me after we're down to one lane.

That being said, CrashTestDave got lucky. He screwed up on many levels. Was he in the right? Yes. But we're talking about a 300lb motorcycle vs. a 3000lb car (with an ignorant driver.) It's a simple matter of weight ratios. On the bike you've got to have a much higher situational awareness. CTD got lucky.

The one thing I wanted to see was the outcome. He got the police involved but never said what happened. This leaves me to believe nothing came of this encounter.

Q. Why do I ride?
A. Because I've never seen anyone jogging and smiling.

2012 Ninja 650
2011 ZX6R
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 12:39 AM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Ugh, why is the edit option missing from my post? I have an error I want to correct and the option to edit isn't there! Stupid forum.

Q. Why do I ride?
A. Because I've never seen anyone jogging and smiling.

2012 Ninja 650
2011 ZX6R
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 01:13 AM
Forum Champion

Thanked 1,649 Times in 1,039 Posts
Garage
Except this wasn't ignorance. She did this deliberately and knew full well that the biker was there. She even smiles a little as he's telling her off. I see this more as a situation as wolf, sheepdog and sheep dynamic more. You have regular cars (sheep) you have ass hole drivers pretending they're like regular cars (wolf in sheep's clothing.) and you have motorcyclists small dogs acting as wolf bait. The little dog flushed out a wolf and got him to bite, then went to the big sheep dog (cop) to do his thing. I got q

2016 Yamaha WR250R (Team Yamaha Blue)
2007 Yamaha R1 (Team Yamaha Blue)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page