Backpack: Ogio No Drag Mach 5 - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Vet

Backpack: Ogio No Drag Mach 5

I got this 2 years ago. My initial use was my daily commute. Every work day, I'd pack in my 15.6" laptop, my lunch (glass lunch containers), power cord, portable hard drive, mouse, note pad, pen, pencil, etc, and an extra visor. The backpack was perfect for this, and I'd recommend it to anyone as a daily commute backpack, even for school with text books.

Storage
This model features expandable storage. This is super useful when packing several days worth of clothes for a 3-4 day trip. It's surprising how much it is capable of carrying. I originally babied it because I was worried I'd deform the hard shell, but it has survived some abusively big loads. This backpack is capable of carrying 2 laptops securely. 1 in the regular pouch for 13-15.6" laptops, and the outermost pouch can stretch to hold up to 17" or 15.6" with an expanded battery pack

Heaviest load carried: 1 X Alienware 17" gaming laptop, 1 X 15.6" Lenovo Laptops and another 15.6" Dell with an expanded battery pack, along with all the power bricks, my lunch, and my 2.5" portable hard drive. OMG that alienware was heavy!

This backpack also comes with a waist strap with a lil pouch. I used this for a few months before opting to just store my wallet in my jacket. Others have found this to be really useful, but I didn't care for it. There is also a helmet carrying strap, but I only ever used it when I needed both hands. I had a tough time with crowded streets since it made my body wider with the helmet on my side, so I eventually just took it off and carried my helmet around.

There is plenty of little pockets for small items. My favorite pocket is accessible externally at the top of the backpack. I normally store a few USB drives here for easy access, or other small items. The visor carrier is useful, but I no longer change visors due to a new helmet with integrated sun shield. Sadly I'd have to cut it out to remove it, but I can't bring myself to. The shoe holders I've used a few times, but I often opt to just carry them in a plastic bag instead.

Durability
After 2 years of daily use (my old backpack died so I use this even in the winter now), it is in remarkably good condition. All the zippers function well (as they should) and externally it looks almost new. The only tell tale sign of use is that the bottom, which used to be pointy, has lost some of it's shape and flattened out a bit from sitting on the floor with stuff in it. But anyone unfamiliar with what it looked like new would have no idea it has flattened out a bit. This is not an issue for me. I am careful not to drag it across surfaces, or otherwise cause damage from abrasive surfaces. I don't throw it around, so if you treat it with care, it will last, despite loading it with heavy stuff.

Ergonomics, safety, and aerodynamics
It can take some time to get the straps adjusted correctly to fit your body. The straps are asymmetrical due to the helmet strap on the one side. So you have to pay attention to get it to fit you correctly on both sides. Once set, you'll never have to touch it again, unless carrying at full capacity with the expanded bit maxed. Then it can be a bit tight. With it's snug fit, it doesn't move around your back while riding and is quite comfy. With really heavy loads i let the backpack sit some of the weight on the back seat (yay upright riding position!).

There are 2 high viz stripes going down either side of the Mach 5. I feel a lot safet knowing these lines light up at night from headlights.

The aero performance is impressive. If you go over bridges with big wind gusts, you will be happy to have this equipped. There are also a bunch of elastic loops to keep loose straps from flapping around.

Should you get this?
If you appreciate it's looks, and don't mind having to open up the clam shell to get at your stuff, this is a pretty fantastic motorcycle oriented backpack. It can carry more than you would expect, and will last a long time if you take care when putting it on the floor.

All the gear, all the time!!

Last edited by Woomba; 12-22-2014 at 02:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Woomba For This Useful Post:
damronjr (03-20-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 09:00 AM

Garage
Did you fit all those laptops at once?
Did you have shoulder pain/strain after that?
I used to carry a normal backpack with 1x 2.7kg Dell XPS 13 and a pair of raincoats. It was putting a strain on my shoulders after a week.
I am interested in purchasing this Ogio Mach 5 but by the pictures I found online, the strap system looks just like a normal backpack's. Wonder how the straps are opposed to Kriega R25 quadlock system.

.: ride safe :.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 10:33 AM
Forum Champion

Thanked 1,649 Times in 1,039 Posts
Garage
I have also been using this backpack for about a year and it sees a lot of use. A carried 7 full sized text books in it no problem. Between the straps and padded jacket, the weight wasn't a huge issue. It handles a full load very well. Also, it can easily handle two laptops at the same time if you wish. There is a laptop sleeve as well as a netbook/chromebook sleeve as well that can probably still hold a full sized laptop in if you want as well. The interior red felt has held up very well to the countless crap that's been loaded up into it. The only issue I've had is that the texture on the area next to the drag handle on top and a bit on the shoulder straps have worn off a bit in some places and the fake CF is pretty easy to mark up a bit, but other than that, it's been an awesome backpack that has survived a lot longer than my other MC centric backpacks.

2016 Yamaha WR250R (Team Yamaha Blue)
2007 Yamaha R1 (Team Yamaha Blue)

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 01:26 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
I also concur...I have had one that I use daily for 18 months...it goes to work, school, grocery store, Home Depot...it's going strong, has some tattering on the outside edges but its purely cosmetic. LOVE this backpack.

2014 Honda CBR650F Matte Black ABS
2014 Ninja 300 Ebony (sold)
2008 Suzuki Boulevard 800
2005 Ninja 250
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphereza View Post
Did you fit all those laptops at once?
Did you have shoulder pain/strain after that?
I used to carry a normal backpack with 1x 2.7kg Dell XPS 13 and a pair of raincoats. It was putting a strain on my shoulders after a week.
I am interested in purchasing this Ogio Mach 5 but by the pictures I found online, the strap system looks just like a normal backpack's. Wonder how the straps are opposed to Kriega R25 quadlock system.
The triple laptop carry was a one time thing. I was transporting them between work sites, so it was only a 30 min ride. As mentioned, with heavy loads, I ride more upright so the backpack puts the majority of the weight on the back seat. Those with clip-ons may not be able to do that though. But it can carry that much .

I find the chest strap crucial to motorcycle use. A regular backpack can have the shoulder strap slip off when doing shoulder checks. The other straps are optional in my mind.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Vet

Since it's still cold out, I've continued to use my Ogio backpack during my daily commute, but on the passenger seat, in my car. I was recently making a left turn and was hit by a car going 80 kph/50 mph. The Mach 5 was carrying my 15" laptop, and a number of other gadgets, paper, portable HDD, etc. All the airbags went off, both cars were totaled, and the other driver went off to the hospital.

I managed to walk away with minor injuries. The backpack survived with 2 minor scratches on the outer shell, and managed to protect everything, including my laptop from any harm. Soo, now it's been crash tested too, with surprising results!

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 09:05 PM

Looks like a real nice pack...I've been looking for a better one and this might be it.

Glad to hear you're alright. Good thing you weren't on your bike!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Vet

Small update: backpack is beginning to show some cosmetic wear and tear in places due to daily use. The hand hold at the top has a soft touch coating that is wearing away at the edge of the grip. The laptop pouch has some fraying around the top edge from stuffing bigger than recommended laptops in it. Overall, still goin strong

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 09:29 PM

Ogio has lifetime warranty in US/CAN. Make sure to scan your receipt and contact them for replacement
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 10:12 PM
Veteran

I love my Mach 3. If I lost it, I'd either be buying the Mach 3 again or going to the Mach 5. Once you're used to the difference compared to a regular backpack, you won't want to go back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page