Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum - View Single Post - Dude Where's My Bike?
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
FreelancerMG
Forum Champion

Thanked 1,648 Times in 1,038 Posts
Garage
Dude Where's My Bike?

Thought I'd share this not so fun experience I had a last week.

A couple weeks ago I get a knock on the door at 6:30 in the morning and wondering who the hell solicits so early in the morning I open to find my neighbor. She tells me my new motorcycle is laying on its side in the alley behind our house which also happens to be connected to our garage. Now I immediately thank her and run out back to check on the bike. The cover is still secure on the bike and the transmission is still in gear. The bike didn't roll backwards and fall on its side so I could immediately rule out any natural causes. I pick the bike up and move it back to where it's supposed to be and inspect the bike. The frame sliders took the brunt of the fall with some minor scratches and the bike cover took what little abrasions would have been applied to the bike. Overall I get off lucky. The neighbor's husband comes out and I start chatting with him about what may have happened and he says he'll check his camera footage to see what may have happened.

After further inspect and finding nothing wrong with my GSX-R 750 my neighbor approaches me and says he has it all on tape. A couple guys tried to pick up the bike and put it into a van. Fortunately, the guys were idiots and haven't done this before and realized that you can't push a bike into a van from the back without the wheel facing the front. With the steering locked, they couldn't push the bike into the van against the traction of the out of line front tire. They ended up dropping the bike, panicking, and fled leaving the bike there on its side. The neighbor's camera caught the whole thing but the plate is going to be very difficult to ID due to contrast issues with the night-time and bright lights of the van. I find this out, and call the police. The responding officer takes my statement and asks if I want to file a full police report. I respond that I would like to but he warns me that most likely the crooks are from a nearby neighborhood who's jurisdiction is another city. It's common for thieves to commute to other cities in order to escape jurisdiction and make being tracked much more difficult. I ask if this is becoming much more common in the city of Cypress(where I technically live.) He responds that crime, in particular theft, has skyrocketed by a factor of 40. Apparently it's due to the fact that they no longer arrest for drug possession and just cite. They can only arrest if the quantity can be considered dealing. So now we have a population of drug addicts stealing everything in the Long Beach area to fuel their habit and they can no longer be arrested unless caught stealing. Our own laws that lowered penalties for drugs and and requiring imprisonment only for hardcore crime has enabled a "Shangri-La" situation for all of the local tweakers to do what they do with impunity. So I learn that my fellow CA citizens and our shit governor have been slowly turning this state into a felon's paradise. They release all of the prisoners, make it nearly impossible to go back to prison, and then continue on the strong march to disarm the law abiding citizens.

There are some observations that I noticed about the thieves from their failed attempt to steal my bike. They were "semi-pro" amateur idiots. They had most of the basics down of professional motorcycle thieves but didn't come prepared or know what the hell they were really doing. They needed more people to properly lift the bike and another person or two pre-positioned in the van to drag the front of the bike in while the rear two pushed. In this case, they only had two people total try to man handle the bike and force it into the van. Which obviously failed. They also left the cover on which totally screwed them. It prevented getting a good purchase on the bike which would have made lifting and moving the bike much easier. With the wheel locked, it would have been better to go with the rear first and hold the clutch to let the bike roll in and then lower the front which is the common way the "pros" have been known to do it. Then there's the lighting, that area of my garage/house has an auto-sensing light that's fairly bright and would have made the whole operation very plain to see. Which means they were either desperate, stupid, didn't give a damn or a combination there of. Usually thieves aren't too keen to be in plain view which is why they generally choose night time to run their operations.

So the impression that I got from these idiots was that they were amateurs at the whole bike nabbing thing but with at least some of the basic setup right, they probably know someone who has successfully stolen bikes in the past and maybe didn't get the whole picture. This goes to prove though that simple things like the steering lock, a good quality cover and comprehensive coverage insurance are good things to have to protect your ride. It also doesn't matter where you live as crime tends to commute like everyone else.

2016 Yamaha WR250R (Team Yamaha Blue)
2007 Yamaha R1 (Team Yamaha Blue)
The Following User Says Thank You to FreelancerMG For This Useful Post:
Ninja3oo_LA (02-28-2016)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome