Ducati demo day - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Sulman
  • 1 Post By Sulman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Ducati demo day

Hi all, I wrote about my experience at the Ducati demo day. These were actually the first bikes I'd ridden since getting the 300. It was an interesting time, but for now, I still love my 300.

https://sullybiker.wordpress.com/201...n-supermodels/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 09:16 AM

Great write up! Thanks for sharing. I'm hoping to get to a Yamaha demo day in November.

2014 Ninja 300 ABS - Black
Akrapovic Titanium Slip On | Decatted Exhaust | FlashTune ECU | Shogun Frame Sliders | Michelin Pilot Street Radials & EBC HH brake pads | Puig Windscreen & Tail Tidy | Custom LED Integrated Tail Light | Red Shorty Levers | Oxford Heaterz Sport Grips | Red Plasti-dipped Rear Foot Peg Brackets | Red CustomTaylor33 reflective rim tape + Ninja & Kawasaki Logos | Red SSR Frame Plugs & Swingarm Spools | 1" Mirror Extenders
The Following User Says Thank You to ninjared For This Useful Post:
Sulman (09-25-2016)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjared View Post
Great write up! Thanks for sharing. I'm hoping to get to a Yamaha demo day in November.
I really wanted to get to a Yamaha day. The FZ09 in particular is a bike I'm itching to try, probably more than any other. The next bike will probably be a naked, and I'd like a high-torque engine.

If I had the money (for running costs as well as purchase), I'd probably get a Monster. They're such fun.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulman View Post
I really wanted to get to a Yamaha day. The FZ09 in particular is a bike I'm itching to try, probably more than any other. The next bike will probably be a naked, and I'd like a high-torque engine.

If I had the money (for running costs as well as purchase), I'd probably get a Monster. They're such fun.
Nice. I want to ride the xsr900. Also eyeing the street triple r. Rode a buddy's '09 monster 796. It was a beast.

2014 Ninja 300 ABS - Black
Akrapovic Titanium Slip On | Decatted Exhaust | FlashTune ECU | Shogun Frame Sliders | Michelin Pilot Street Radials & EBC HH brake pads | Puig Windscreen & Tail Tidy | Custom LED Integrated Tail Light | Red Shorty Levers | Oxford Heaterz Sport Grips | Red Plasti-dipped Rear Foot Peg Brackets | Red CustomTaylor33 reflective rim tape + Ninja & Kawasaki Logos | Red SSR Frame Plugs & Swingarm Spools | 1" Mirror Extenders
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 05:47 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
I rode and thoroughly enjoyed an fz09 at a demo day. I think I would be too worried about dropping/laying down a Ducati
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hijinks View Post
I rode and thoroughly enjoyed an fz09 at a demo day. I think I would be too worried about dropping/laying down a Ducati
Actually, and there is some irony here, Ducati are very happy to have their bikes demo'd and tested. People do drop them (I asked). They're insured for it and plan accordingly.

The Ducati organiser that ran the demo truck encouraged us to keep going on rides whenever there were spare bikes. He said it's the best marketing for the brand.
Hijinks likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 10:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulman View Post

You'll likely have a blast on the FZ-09. That's a lot of bang for the buck. And the triple sounds cool too. I traded my 2013 Ninja for a Yamaha 2014 FZ-09, after the shift fork in my '13 Ninja started to fail. That Yamaha was a hoot. In "A Mode" I could loft the front end of that bike in the fast lane on the freeway. Wheelies off the line were cake. Aside from excelling as a hooligan bike, it wasn't great as a sport bike or a cruiser. Its tall, very lightweight, and has a short wheel base. Reminded me of riding an XR650L on the freeway, sitting up tall in the wind blast, so for me it wasn't great for highway cruising. I still like my Ninja better on twisty stuff too. We have lots and lots of real super twisty roads where you can have fun doing spirited riding at 25 to 45 mph. The Ninja has better ergonomics and power delivery for that kind of riding as well. After having some fun scaring people (including myself) and guys on super sports, I traded the FZ away for a bike more suitable for road trips, and acting my age.

2014 Ninja 300 - Bridgestone, Woodcraft, Yoshimura, TST, Sato Racing, Speedmetal, Hotbodies, Motul, Scorpio, and Arai.

Motorcycling since 1980

Last edited by Beach Ninja; 09-26-2016 at 10:24 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Ninja View Post
You'll likely have a blast on the FZ-09. That's a lot of bang for the buck. And the triple sounds cool too. I traded my 2013 Ninja for a Yamaha 2014 FZ-09, after the shift fork in my '13 Ninja started to fail. That Yamaha was a hoot. In "A Mode" I could loft the front end of that bike in the fast lane on the freeway. Wheelies off the line were cake. Aside from excelling as a hooligan bike, it wasn't great as a sport bike or a cruiser. Its tall, very lightweight, and has a short wheel base. Reminded me of riding an XR650L on the freeway, sitting up tall in the wind blast, so for me it wasn't great for highway cruising. I still like my Ninja better on twisty stuff too. We have lots and lots of real super twisty roads where you can have fun doing spirited riding at 25 to 45 mph. The Ninja has better ergonomics and power delivery for that kind of riding as well. After having some fun scaring people (including myself) and guys on super sports, I traded the FZ away for a bike more suitable for road trips, and acting my age.
I'll probably keep my 300 as it's such a good commuter, and I'm increasingly steering toward the idea a second bike is genuinely useful, especially if you depend on them.

My hesitation with the FZ-09 is what you mentioned; everybody loves them, but nobody (that I know locally) seems to keep them long, which suggests it's not a bike for living with.
Beach Ninja likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sulman For This Useful Post:
Beach Ninja (09-26-2016)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page