Checking valve clearance DIY (with pics) - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Checking and adjusting valve clearance DIY (with pics)

The valves should be checked cold, so you should leave the bike to cool overnight. it's easier to remove the tank if it's mostly empty.

I am assuming you know how to remove the fairings, as it's explained in the service manual and it's not hard to figure out (also see this Fairing Removal Guide). Remove the front lower fairing, the U shaped front center fairing (above the front wheel) that connects the two big side fairing, the two wavy black things on the side of the tanks, and the side fairings below the seat. if you've never done it before, you need the allen keys provided with the bike and a small screwdriver to pop the plastic retainers.

There are two big retainers under the bike joining the two bottom fairing in front (one in front, one under), and 7 small retainers connecting the U shaped fairing with the two side fairing. The U shaped fairing also has 2 big screws. Some of the fairings have plugs that are inside rubber grommets. You'll have to exert some moderate force to pull them out of the grommets (and some force to push them back in). the ABS plastic of the fairing is flexible so it will not break unless you go at it with crazy force. I put the bolts close to each fairing to avoid confusion when re-assembling. The big side fairings have an electrical attachment for the left/right indicators. you have to unplug and replug those when re-assembling. The only really sneaky bolt is right under the center of the nose of the bike (between the lights). It attaches to the two big side fairings and you won't see it unless you look.

Here's a pic of the bike without fairings (CA version)

Fairings removed

Then we remove the CA scrubber: unplug rubber hoses A and B from the tank. unplug C from the scrubber. Unplug straps D and remove scrubber E. I think the the metal support that is holding the scrubber is also on the way of accessing the valves, so you can unbolt and remove that too.

Remove bolts F and unplug both connectors G (the right one might be a pain, you have to press the tab and pull apart).

The reason is we want to have space to access the valves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fairs.jpg (160.9 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg bike1.jpg (220.2 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg side1.jpg (196.4 KB, 73 views)
cadd likes this.

Last edited by Spacep0d; 02-22-2016 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Caps (Title and Body)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RidingBear For This Useful Post:
bligg1 (04-19-2015), cadd (11-26-2014), reggae5 (11-25-2014), The Thinker (02-22-2016), travellingtenor (01-15-2015), Töp (11-26-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 07:25 PM
Veteran

Garage
Are those orange fairings? Plasti or aftermarket?
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVal View Post
Are those orange fairings? Plasti or aftermarket?
spray painted after two cars hit the parked bike on both sides and dropped it on each side. I repaired the cracks melting ABS plastic rods and repainted.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 07:59 PM
Seasoned Vet

Location: Crescent City Fl formerly Key West Fl -Formerly Detroit - Formerly Canada
Garage
Thanks for posting a DIY on Valve adjusting. I never could find one on the internet for our 300. Hope when its done a mod will make it a sticky. Been thinking I want to try that my self sometime but it looks like a whole lot of work to do. Probably why it costs "a whole lot of money" to have the shop do it.

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggae5 View Post
Thanks for posting a DIY on Valve adjusting. I never could find one on the internet for our 300. Hope when its done a mod will make it a sticky. Been thinking I want to try that my self sometime but it looks like a whole lot of work to do. Probably why it costs "a whole lot of money" to have the shop do it.
truth is it takes a few hours to do. I need to adjust the valves and I am considering whether to pay $180 at the local shop or buy the shims and do it myself, because there's only so much time in the weekend. if I didn't use the bike to commute it wouldn't be a big deal. a different mechanic wanted $400 which is probably the dealer's price.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 09:43 PM
Seasoned Vet

Location: Crescent City Fl formerly Key West Fl -Formerly Detroit - Formerly Canada
Garage
I am coming on 10k miles on mine and haven't done it yet. And wont for a bit more. I see no signs they are out of adjustment and after doing a lot of investigation on the subject most say that there really isn't that much of a need for one before 20k

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggae5 View Post
I am coming on 10k miles on mine and haven't done it yet. And wont for a bit more. I see no signs they are out of adjustment and after doing a lot of investigation on the subject most say that there really isn't that much of a need for one before 20k
I checked mine at 8k and the exhaust valves were tight and were adjusted. I checked them again at 17k and they are tight again. I haven't seen any external signs of the valves being out of spec.

I don't know if they would have been damaged or not if I had left them till 20k, but I read some opinion that if they show signs of being too tight they could already be damaged.
The Following User Says Thank You to RidingBear For This Useful Post:
madskillz272 (01-10-2015)
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

next remove the seat (one bolt on each side and slide it away from the tank). once the seat is removed, you'll see two big bolts securing the tank, remove them, then lift the tank slightly. there are two connectors under it: one electrical A, and the fuel line B. The fuel line has this red thing you have to open to release the plug. be careful not to break it, but it's not superfragile.

you have to open the two flaps C and D and push the red bit to the side to remove the plug. once that's done you can remove the tank. it's just resting on some hooks in the front, just lift the tank and pull it away from the front.
be careful to snap the red thing back in place properly when reattaching the fuel line. the first time I did I thought it was snapped in, but I made it 100 yards from the house before the plug disconnected and the engine died. luckily the top seal of the tank prevented all the fuel from spilling out, and it was just a matter of 10 minutes to lift the tank and reattach it. put the tank somewhere. I leave it with the frontside on the floor, against the wall. a little fuel might spill out the fuel connector, just dry it up.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank.jpg (150.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg tank2.jpg (181.8 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by RidingBear; 11-26-2014 at 02:56 PM.
Töp (11-29-2014)
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

now that the tank is off, we need to remove the airbox. you can either leave the airbox lid attached to the hose C or G and take everything out of the way (the big lump of rubber G slides off away from the tank), or remove the hose C from the lid. either way, the lid comes off with bolts A and B. the airbox may have some carbon powder deposit you can clean off, inside.

I like to clean everything before I open the valve cover so that dust and grit doesn't get into the engine.

Next remove the spark plug coils D, first the electric plug and then the coil. the coil is rather long and you may need to twist it a bit before it pops off the spark plug (when you push it back in later, make sure they are in all the way, they need to pop into the spark plug). if you need to change the spark plugs remove those too. they are quite recessed inside so you may need some long tool to fish them off once they are unscrewed.

bolts E and F are for the valve cover. when you put everything back together, they need to be tight enough so as not to come loose, but not too tight that they supercompress the rubber gasket. I used a torque wrench the first time around but the second I just tightened by 'feel'.

On the other side, you can see the rubber holder A (G in the previous picture), which can slide off. Now the service manual says to drain the coolant and remove the radiator. I don't do that. I just remove the two bolts C, and I gently push the coolant hose D so that the metal part is ABOVE the bolt bracket C instead of BELOW. this makes enough space to slide the valve cover off. However you see the hose E has a metal end which fits with the valve cover. when you remove the valve cover, you'll have to wiggle this metal end of the hose, so that it doesn't block the way of the lid. similarly, when you put the valve cover back in, you'll have to wiggle the hose E so that it fits together properly.

Remove the plug and the coil B, and then the bolts F (and the other is hidden behind the coolant hose in the picture). When you put everything back, make sure the coolant hoses haven't loosened up. take a screwdriver and check the retainer bands are tight on the hoses. check the coolant level a couple of times after you ride the bike to make sure there's no leak (you can also put your fingers in between the side fairing and see if the hoses are wet).

Now you are ready to slide the valve cover off. slide it toward the right side (the side of the coolant hose). you'll have to wiggle a few times and it may seem it's not possible but it is. be careful and look under the valve cover with a flashlight, you'll see that the chain tensioner is blocking the way. you have to push the valve cover up to go above the chain tensioner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rightlid.jpg (281.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg leftlid.jpg (269.0 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by RidingBear; 11-28-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Töp (11-29-2014)
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

once the cover is off, be careful not to drop anything inside. if a small bit falls in, it may end up lower inside the engine. if you can't fish it out with a magnet you may have to open the engine completely. if you're nervous, better to put some rags inside to make sure nothing falls in. in the close up view of the cams you can see where the three rubber gaskets A B and C are. the two rubber gaskets B and C look like two small circles joined together (that's where the spark plugs go through). there are two metal bits E and D that hold the two smaller rubber gaskets B and C in position, and these bits can come out and fall in if you're not careful. If you just want to check the clearance you can leave them in but you better know where they are before you work on the valves. if you take them out, put a rag in, first, in case you drop one.
the rubber gaskets you can reuse (till they start leaking, a mechanic told me), although some might say you should change them each time. I have new gaskets but I am reusing the old ones for now. even if the small ones look a little out of shape (mine did), the metal cover will hold them in place anyway. just make sure no grit falls on the gasket as that will prevent them from sealing.

now remove the two covers from A and B with a big flat screwdriver or something like a coin.

If you insert a socket in A and turn counterclockwise, you will see the cams C move. you'll see the lobes of the cams rotate. you want to check the valve clearance when the lobes of the cams for that cylinder point away from each other with the same angle.

the exhaust valves are in front (of the bike), the intake valves in the back, so you want the exhaust valves and intake valves to point away at the same angle. This position (TDC, top dead center) for cylinder 1 is also marked in the view port of B with a line or 1T.
in the position 1T you can check the two ex. valves for cylinder 1 and the two intake valves for cylinder 1. insert a feeler gauge in the gap. Now the tricky part is that the cam pushes onto the bucket below (you can see this as you rotate it). that means that if you push hard enough, you can insert a feeler gauge that is actually thicker of the clearance. So, the actually value of the valve clearance is a little imprecise in that it depends on how good you are at "feeling" the right amount of force to push it in. if it goes in without force, the gap is bigger than your gauge. if it goes in with too much force, the gap is smaller than your gauge. the right measurement for the gap is when the gauge goes in with a little force, but you can slide it off easily.

It's not a big deal if you're not precise to the 0.01 mm, as the gap has a range of correct values, so you just want to check that the gap is within that range.

now if you buy a cheap feeler gauge you'll probably have big intervals between your different gauges. the one I have, for example, had intervals 0.15, 0.20 and 0.25. that's enough for a rough measurement, but not ideal. so what I did was add two gauges, say 0.15+0.06=0.21. That's a little better, but adding two gauges is not ideal either. So now I want to buy a gauge that has all the intervals between 0.15 and 0.25 (0.15, 0.16...). [update. turns out such small intervals between blades are not manufactured, so I guess I'll keep my feeler gauge and use two blades together].

the intervals for the ex. valves, from the manual, are 0.22-0.29 mm. for the intake valves are 0.15-0.24 mm.

once you measure all 4 valves for cylinder 1, keep turning till you get to position T2. that's the position to measure the four valves of cylinder 2.

it's easy to measure the valves in front of you for cylinder 1, however the other valves are a bit hidden, and you can barely see the buckets with a flashlight. that's not a big problem, just find the right position by feel and insert the gauge. if you take a good look at the assembly, you'll understand where you have to measure.

in the next figure I'll show a closer view of the cams.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg valvgs.jpg (233.2 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg eng.jpg (133.2 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by RidingBear; 12-02-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Töp (12-03-2014)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page