Suggested maintenance and checks on second hand bike - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By crafty09

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Suggested maintenance and checks on second hand bike

Hi guys,

First of all big thank you for all your help. I've been here about a week and I've learnt so much already. I bought a second hand Ninja 300 to learn on around a month ago and I'm aiming to do as much maintenance as possible with my own hands.

The bike:

2013 Ninja 300 SE ABS
~13,500 km
Last serviced 27/4/2015 @ 12,000 km by dealership

Since it's been over a year since its last service, last week I changed the oil and oil filter on the bike. I was just wondering what other maintenance people would suggest. I'm thinking replace coolant, clean (maybe replace) air filter, replace brake fluid. Any other suggestions?

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 03:05 AM

If it were me I would only do the oil and filter, possibly also check the air filter. Other than that I would just follow the service manual for the suggested maintenance based on the kms after that.
The Following User Says Thank You to SnappyJB For This Useful Post:
crafty09 (01-02-2017)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 05:15 AM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crafty09 View Post
Hi guys,

First of all big thank you for all your help. I've been here about a week and I've learnt so much already. I bought a second hand Ninja 300 to learn on around a month ago and I'm aiming to do as much maintenance as possible with my own hands.

The bike:

2013 Ninja 300 SE ABS
~13,500 km
Last serviced 27/4/2015 @ 12,000 km by dealership

Since it's been over a year since its last service, last week I changed the oil and oil filter on the bike. I was just wondering what other maintenance people would suggest. I'm thinking replace coolant, clean (maybe replace) air filter, replace brake fluid. Any other suggestions?

Cheers!
Welcome to the forum.

Being a kinda grammar Nazi and under the influence of tequila I feel it's my job to inform you that "lernt" is not a word. The word you're looking for is "learned".

Other than that the only thing I might suggest is bleed the brakes and replace the fluid. Something like Motul RBF 600 should be sufficient. I would also check the chain. When you clean it check each link and make sure they all flex. If you have any links that don't flex then you should replace the chain and sprockets.

Q. Why do I ride?
A. Because I've never seen anyone jogging and smiling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Ninja 650
2011 ZX6R

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Being a kinda grammar Nazi and under the influence of tequila I feel it's my job to inform you that "lernt" is not a word. The word you're looking for is "learned".

Other than that the only thing I might suggest is bleed the brakes and replace the fluid. Something like Motul RBF 600 should be sufficient. I would also check the chain. When you clean it check each link and make sure they all flex. If you have any links that don't flex then you should replace the chain and sprockets.
"These are alternative forms of the past tense and past participle of the verb learn. Both are acceptable, but learned is often used in both British English and American English, while learnt is much more common in British English than in American English."
1uglybastard and Topaz like this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 07:27 AM
Seasoned Vet

Chain maintenance.

Changing all the other fluids may not be necessary, but it's a good way to get to know the bike. Keep a record of when you do maintenance on the bike; they require a good bit of it if you want to keep it in tip top shape.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1uglybastard View Post
Chain maintenance.

Changing all the other fluids may not be necessary, but it's a good way to get to know the bike. Keep a record of when you do maintenance on the bike; they require a good bit of it if you want to keep it in tip top shape.
I forgot to mention that I'd relubricated the chain with some silicon chain lube.

This is probably a can of worms discussion, but the mechanic I was buying everything off told me not to degrease the chain due to the O-rings that are in there - just spray more on each time.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 01:23 PM
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crafty09 View Post
I forgot to mention that I'd relubricated the chain with some silicon chain lube.

This is probably a can of worms discussion, but the mechanic I was buying everything off told me not to degrease the chain due to the O-rings that are in there - just spray more on each time.
I degrease the chain every other time I lube it. I lube every 500 miles and degrease (and lube) every 1,000 miles. The OEM chain lasted me 18,200 miles before I changed it. The only reason I degrease my chain is because I can't stand the look of a dirty chain. I use either diesel oil (home heating oil) or kerosene. I never purchased a specific "motorcycle chain degreaser" type product. Some riding buddies of mine never degrease their chain. They just apply more lube.

Coolant: I wouldn't worry about. I have 25,000 miles on the bike right now with OEM coolant. I'll probably change it out this winter. For brake fluid, it's a quick and easy job. So, I would do that. Also make sure your brake pads still have plenty of meat left as well. My front pads worn out around 13,000 miles. Here's a picture comparing the 13k mile pads to new pads:

Riding it like I financed it.
The Following User Says Thank You to cadd For This Useful Post:
crafty09 (01-06-2017)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 09:41 PM
Seasoned Vet

You just can't use harsh degreaser on the chain. What cadd recommended is good. When I give it a thorough cleaning I use wd40 or simple green to degrease it, wash it down, take it for a 10 minute ride, then lube it back up. Most times I just spray it with lube and wipe it. The lube polishes the chain enough for my liking. I probably only wash the chain about every couple thousand miles.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 03:33 PM
Veteran

Garage
Hope the previous owner did the valve adjustment and check the tire pressure weekly as well.

2013 White Ninja 300 / ZX3R
Too many aftermarket parts to list.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchDumper View Post
Hope the previous owner did the valve adjustment and check the tire pressure weekly as well.
I got new tyres put on when I bought the bike (they were pretty bald) - I'm yet to invest in a pressure gauge but will sort one out soon.

The 12,000 km service was done by the dealership over a year ago and included a valve inspection.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page