Dude Where's My Bike? - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Forum Champion

Thanked 1,648 Times in 1,038 Posts
Garage
Dude Where's My Bike?

Thought I'd share this not so fun experience I had a last week.

A couple weeks ago I get a knock on the door at 6:30 in the morning and wondering who the hell solicits so early in the morning I open to find my neighbor. She tells me my new motorcycle is laying on its side in the alley behind our house which also happens to be connected to our garage. Now I immediately thank her and run out back to check on the bike. The cover is still secure on the bike and the transmission is still in gear. The bike didn't roll backwards and fall on its side so I could immediately rule out any natural causes. I pick the bike up and move it back to where it's supposed to be and inspect the bike. The frame sliders took the brunt of the fall with some minor scratches and the bike cover took what little abrasions would have been applied to the bike. Overall I get off lucky. The neighbor's husband comes out and I start chatting with him about what may have happened and he says he'll check his camera footage to see what may have happened.

After further inspect and finding nothing wrong with my GSX-R 750 my neighbor approaches me and says he has it all on tape. A couple guys tried to pick up the bike and put it into a van. Fortunately, the guys were idiots and haven't done this before and realized that you can't push a bike into a van from the back without the wheel facing the front. With the steering locked, they couldn't push the bike into the van against the traction of the out of line front tire. They ended up dropping the bike, panicking, and fled leaving the bike there on its side. The neighbor's camera caught the whole thing but the plate is going to be very difficult to ID due to contrast issues with the night-time and bright lights of the van. I find this out, and call the police. The responding officer takes my statement and asks if I want to file a full police report. I respond that I would like to but he warns me that most likely the crooks are from a nearby neighborhood who's jurisdiction is another city. It's common for thieves to commute to other cities in order to escape jurisdiction and make being tracked much more difficult. I ask if this is becoming much more common in the city of Cypress(where I technically live.) He responds that crime, in particular theft, has skyrocketed by a factor of 40. Apparently it's due to the fact that they no longer arrest for drug possession and just cite. They can only arrest if the quantity can be considered dealing. So now we have a population of drug addicts stealing everything in the Long Beach area to fuel their habit and they can no longer be arrested unless caught stealing. Our own laws that lowered penalties for drugs and and requiring imprisonment only for hardcore crime has enabled a "Shangri-La" situation for all of the local tweakers to do what they do with impunity. So I learn that my fellow CA citizens and our shit governor have been slowly turning this state into a felon's paradise. They release all of the prisoners, make it nearly impossible to go back to prison, and then continue on the strong march to disarm the law abiding citizens.

There are some observations that I noticed about the thieves from their failed attempt to steal my bike. They were "semi-pro" amateur idiots. They had most of the basics down of professional motorcycle thieves but didn't come prepared or know what the hell they were really doing. They needed more people to properly lift the bike and another person or two pre-positioned in the van to drag the front of the bike in while the rear two pushed. In this case, they only had two people total try to man handle the bike and force it into the van. Which obviously failed. They also left the cover on which totally screwed them. It prevented getting a good purchase on the bike which would have made lifting and moving the bike much easier. With the wheel locked, it would have been better to go with the rear first and hold the clutch to let the bike roll in and then lower the front which is the common way the "pros" have been known to do it. Then there's the lighting, that area of my garage/house has an auto-sensing light that's fairly bright and would have made the whole operation very plain to see. Which means they were either desperate, stupid, didn't give a damn or a combination there of. Usually thieves aren't too keen to be in plain view which is why they generally choose night time to run their operations.

So the impression that I got from these idiots was that they were amateurs at the whole bike nabbing thing but with at least some of the basic setup right, they probably know someone who has successfully stolen bikes in the past and maybe didn't get the whole picture. This goes to prove though that simple things like the steering lock, a good quality cover and comprehensive coverage insurance are good things to have to protect your ride. It also doesn't matter where you live as crime tends to commute like everyone else.
Jimbo in Thailand likes this.

2016 Yamaha WR250R (Team Yamaha Blue)
2007 Yamaha R1 (Team Yamaha Blue)
The Following User Says Thank You to FreelancerMG For This Useful Post:
Ninja3oo_LA (02-28-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 04:46 AM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
I'm glad they didn't get away with the bike. I'ld be wary of them returning though and they'll probably have thought about it more (it's not difficult to snap a steering lock). Maybe time for a little more security
Jimbo in Thailand likes this.

amateur racer #128
race sponsor-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to vulgr For This Useful Post:
FreelancerMG (02-27-2016)
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 04:53 AM
Veteran

Glad they didn't steal it -- I'd try to beef up security in that ally. Perhaps a high quality night camera on the bike itself?

Since you are in CA -- I know your options for lethal response is limited, here in TX, it's quite legal to shoot to kill during the night if someone is on your property stealing from you.

Outside of the cameras - there are a variety of "early warning" setups you can build with a rasberry pi type system to wake you up. If you have to keep it outdoors, might be time to install an ultra heavy duty anchor and bigass bike chain to keep them from coming back and picking it up again.
The Following User Says Thank You to accelerus For This Useful Post:

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 10:35 AM
Veteran

I'm glad it's basically okay. Thieving bastards.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sulman For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 10:46 AM
Seasoned Vet

Theft is a fact of life if you own a motorcycle without a garage. Personally I wouldn't even bother owning a bike if I didn't have a garage to put it in.

Zaph - Retired racer
My old CCS Ultralight Thunderbike [
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
Action shots [
] [
] [
]
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 11:06 AM
Seasoned Vet

Location: Crescent City Fl formerly Key West Fl -Formerly Detroit - Formerly Canada
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph View Post
Theft is a fact of life if you own a motorcycle without a garage. Personally I wouldn't even bother owning a bike if I didn't have a garage to put it in.
I'd have to disagree with that. In the 55 years I've owned motorcycles I've only owned a place with a garage maybe 7 of those years. And that was the only time I've been robbed. Now true that was in Detroit so it is true your location does have a bearing on your chances of getting your bike ripped off. Living in rural Canada I didn't even have to have my front door locked let alone my bike.
And when I lived in Key West I kept my bikes just outside the front porch

Last edited by reggae5; 02-26-2016 at 11:09 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to reggae5 For This Useful Post:
tebowned (02-26-2016)
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 11:37 AM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by accelerus View Post
it's quite legal to shoot to kill during the night if someone is on your property stealing from you.
That should be an easy case to make in any event if you know of one example where a failed burglary turned into a home invasion, say. Remember: It must be reasonable for you to fear for your life knowing what you knew at the time. So if you watch only one YouTube video where a burglary attempt turned violent, the argument "you shouldn't shoot just to protect stuff" won't fly. The more you know...
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Forum Champion

Thanked 1,648 Times in 1,038 Posts
Garage
I transferred it's storage location and the area I live in is normally very low crime except until recently with theft. This is why I have that comprehensive insurance though. It also helps that the officer said that he'll be increasing patrols in the area at night due to other incidences in our area. Especially since they make a lot of money on our alley as they use it all the time to stake out and catch speeders on the main roadway outside my house. I've seen them a lot more behind my house sitting there, partially hidden in the alley using it as a speed trap.

2016 Yamaha WR250R (Team Yamaha Blue)
2007 Yamaha R1 (Team Yamaha Blue)
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 11:47 AM
Seasoned Vet

Location: Crescent City Fl formerly Key West Fl -Formerly Detroit - Formerly Canada
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreelancerMG View Post
Especially since they make a lot of money on our alley as they use it all the time to stake out and catch speeders on the main roadway outside my house. I've seen them a lot more behind my house sitting there, partially hidden in the alley using it as a speed trap.
Bring them donuts and coffee they might keep an eye on your place even more

post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 12:34 PM
Veteran

Garage
Could you drill into the cement and put an anchor in there and bolt the bike to that? Sorry about what happened though, extremely frustrating.

2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page