Dude Where's My Bike? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 01:45 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by accelerus View Post
Since you are in CA -- I know your options for lethal response is limited, here in TX, it's quite legal to shoot to kill during the night if someone is on your property stealing from you.
You may want to go back and review your information from the CHL class. Under no circumstances are you allowed to "shoot to kill." You're allowed to used lethal force to defend your life and to a certain extend your property, but never are you allowed to "shoot to kill."

Any shooting that ends up in the death of the POS will go in front of the Grand Jury. If you testify that you we're "shooting to kill" I will 100% guarantee you the Grand Jury will return a true bill and you will face murder or manslaughter charges.

Please consider this book:
The Texas Gun Owner's Guide: Who can bear arms? Where are guns forbidden? When can you shoot? The Texas Gun Owner's Guide: Who can bear arms? Where are guns forbidden? When can you shoot?

Q. Why do I ride?
A. Because I've never seen anyone jogging and smiling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Ninja 650
2011 ZX6R
The Following User Says Thank You to Elijah For This Useful Post:
cadd (02-26-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 02:25 PM
Veteran

If you can't put an anchor and chain or use your garage, you could put a GPS tracker or a better camera in the back, since they seem to not even cover their van's plate (of course, it could be a stolen plate, but they don't seem that bright).

a lot of cops aren't too bright, just because he says the increased theft is due to drug addicts doesn't make it true. I am more likely to blame it on the fact that cops are generally more interested in traffic enforcement than theft prevention/prosecution.

here in the san gabriel valley people follow the USPS truck and steal packages all over the town. do you think the cops are doing something as easy as tail a USPS truck, or put a big fat fake package in front of a house and stake it out, or put GPS trackers in a bunch of packages all over town? no, they are just happy to say "thefts are increasing" and leave it at that.

some bright orange $200 running Asics shoes were stolen from my porch - a homeless guy was wearing them 2 blocks away. I got a new pair for free from amazon, and I reported the guy to the police. they told me it was nothing suspicious.

so please don't blame this on drug addicts and that we are emptying the prisons. that's not true. more and more people go to jail for non violent crimes (such as smoking/selling marjuana) at great cost to the tax payer, because private prisons are a profitable business.

also, you can shoot in self-defence on your property in CA just as anywhere else in USA. as always, shooting is justified only if you are afraid for your life. so, if you shoot a 9 year old in your backyard you go to jail. if you shoot a burglar at night you're most likely safe from prosecution even if he wasn't armed, because it is justified to fear for your life in a burglary situation since a lot of burglaries involve violence.

and please don't post things like "shoot to kill" in a forum where your IP can be traced back to your real identity. God forbid you're forced to shoot in self-defence, an overzelous prosecutor might track your post online and use it as evidence to put you in jail.

Last edited by RidingBear; 02-26-2016 at 02:28 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RidingBear For This Useful Post:
FreelancerMG (02-27-2016)
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 04:08 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by molisa View Post
that engini horse buy no best seller man
A little help?
Attached Images
File Type: png I give up.png (23.0 KB, 31 views)
Rogue and tebowned like this.

Q. Why do I ride?
A. Because I've never seen anyone jogging and smiling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Ninja 650
2011 ZX6R

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Forum Champion

Thanked 1,648 Times in 1,038 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingBear View Post
If you can't put an anchor and chain or use your garage, you could put a GPS tracker or a better camera in the back, since they seem to not even cover their van's plate (of course, it could be a stolen plate, but they don't seem that bright).

a lot of cops aren't too bright, just because he says the increased theft is due to drug addicts doesn't make it true. I am more likely to blame it on the fact that cops are generally more interested in traffic enforcement than theft prevention/prosecution.

here in the san gabriel valley people follow the USPS truck and steal packages all over the town. do you think the cops are doing something as easy as tail a USPS truck, or put a big fat fake package in front of a house and stake it out, or put GPS trackers in a bunch of packages all over town? no, they are just happy to say "thefts are increasing" and leave it at that.

some bright orange $200 running Asics shoes were stolen from my porch - a homeless guy was wearing them 2 blocks away. I got a new pair for free from amazon, and I reported the guy to the police. they told me it was nothing suspicious.

so please don't blame this on drug addicts and that we are emptying the prisons. that's not true. more and more people go to jail for non violent crimes (such as smoking/selling marjuana) at great cost to the tax payer, because private prisons are a profitable business.

also, you can shoot in self-defence on your property in CA just as anywhere else in USA. as always, shooting is justified only if you are afraid for your life. so, if you shoot a 9 year old in your backyard you go to jail. if you shoot a burglar at night you're most likely safe from prosecution even if he wasn't armed, because it is justified to fear for your life in a burglary situation since a lot of burglaries involve violence.

and please don't post things like "shoot to kill" in a forum where your IP can be traced back to your real identity. God forbid you're forced to shoot in self-defence, an overzelous prosecutor might track your post online and use it as evidence to put you in jail.
Most drug possession now due to proposition 47 aren't considered felonies anymore and most wont even see prison. It's generally a catch and release program now. Not to mention, this allows anyone previously convicted for possession to appeal, downgrade their conviction and be released. It's no wonder that when proposition 47 went into affect, minor crime skyrocketed. It also makes most non-violent crime and petty theft misdemeanors. As of 2014, they aren't going to jail for this stuff anymore. For drugs, they aren't getting in trouble for it unless they have enough to be considered distributing. Talking with quite a few cops and they have said that their arrests that stick for drug possession are almost nil and many are released with a fine a couple days later after their time in front of a judge. Then we had the issue with Gov Brown releasing a huge portion of felons who were convicted of non-violent crimes. Many of which were convicted of grand theft and larceny. It's not exactly rocket science to then see why such types of crimes are increasing at a very high rate. Although I am thankful that at least our murder rate is staying steady with the rest of the nation so there is that at least.

I moved the bike to a new location on the property that's out of sight and requires a few more hoops to jump through. The cops hang around behind the house every other night or so to catch speeders which I can hear a few times nearly every night when they pull some idiot over in front of my house. So I at least know the officer kept true to his word and had the sergeant and maybe his lieutenant increase patrols in my local area. It's a win-win for both parties as they increase their ticket writing quota with a near endless supply of easy marks late at night/early morning of those who like to use the street outside my house as a personal drag strip.

2016 Yamaha WR250R (Team Yamaha Blue)
2007 Yamaha R1 (Team Yamaha Blue)
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,082 Times in 1,355 Posts
Garage
If they decriminalized drugs, addicts could get treatment instead of stealing stuff to buy expensive, black-market drugs. We can't really have a system which criminalizes drug use/possession and yet allows drug users to roam free...worst of all worlds.

Where you live ALWAYS matters with respect to crime. Crime is not equal, everywhere. There's a reason property values differ. I've lived in many areas where crime was way worse than others, simply because of the population in that area. Detroit is not the same as Irvine. Santa Ana is not the same as Beverly Hills.

That doesn't mean a thief can't or won't follow you home or stake you out personally, but where you live (and where your bike lives) matters. A garage is better than no garage, but that doesn't mean garage-theft doesn't happen. I had a car stolen from an apartment complex years ago. Then, they broke into my car again after I got it painted and repaired. Never had a garage break-in. It can happen, but it's much less common and anything which is out of sight is great protection against crimes of opportunity, most unlike outside parking where any random d-bag can see your bike and think about it...including how to steal it.

Plus, pride of ownership matters. Apartment dwellers who pay rent and where there's much higher turnover aren't going to know their neighbors as well and won't be quite as fiercely vigilant as homeowners who may have lived in an area for years and know when they see something that 'doesn't look right'. Having lived in both apartments and a house I own, there is a difference. Plus, apartments suffer from Section 8 syndrome, where people who couldn't normally afford to live near you may do just that, and some bring their criminal lifestyle (and criminal friends) with them. Just before my car got stolen, we had a bunch of relocated people from the Northridge earthquake. Where did my car end up after being stolen? Northridge. Could have just been a coincidence, but I don't know. Still doesn't sit well. Apartments are pretty much the worst place to keep a car or bike outside if you're worried about theft, if nothing else, because they're on-view all of the time and to anyone (and their friends). So, extra precautions have to be taken.

Glad your bike didn't get stolen and that you have it on cam. Definitely think about a concrete anchor, make sure that full-coverage is active and I hope they don't come back for more. I had thieves visit my car twice (stolen once and the break-in after), so yeah that sucks and I knew it was vulnerable being outside all the time. #ThievesAreScum

Spacep0d's
!

2013 Triumph Daytona 675R
Austin Racing V3 Titanium exhaust (baffled), professionally-shaved seat, T-Rex sliders, Pazzo shorty levers, Tech Spec tank grips, tail tidy, Watsen marker lights. Only 23 lbs. heavier than the 300!

Get your ZX-3R decals

Last edited by Spacep0d; 02-27-2016 at 06:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spacep0d For This Useful Post:
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 10:25 PM
Veteran

Garage
An alarm disc lock, perhaps?
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 03:31 AM

Garage
Jeez. Glad they were numbskulls and didn't get your bike. Also glad the cops sound reasonably interested in helping you in the future.

As was mentioned crime is an unfortunate reality in my opinion, and bike thefts happen in good neighborhoods and bad. (I have to wonder what kind of cash stealing a $5K bike would get you, but you clearly weren't dealing with the sharpest tools in the shed so perhaps they hadn't thought that through either.)

A gixxer friend of mine had his bike stolen three times. The first was from outside his low-rent apartment as Spacep0d mentioned--and it was uncovered and off a major street so a lot of people saw it. That one was his bad. The second time he thinks he was followed, so when he parked in front of his parents house one night (in a nice neighborhood in the hills, I might add) it was gone three hours later. The third was ironically from the parking lot of a reputable self storage business in broad daylight. He went to his unit and in under thirty minutes it was gone. Security camera clearly got the license of the van, but the plate was stolen. He gave up on riding.

Another friend of mine had his 1199 Panigale stolen out of a locked storage garage. Professionals, who had found a way to stake out higher-end bikes stored in that area. What I take from all of that is that if real thieves want a bike they can get it. So I keep full coverage on my bikes, keep them out of view and hopefully secure enough that a real thief moves on to an easier target.
The Following User Says Thank You to AxeManBlue For This Useful Post:
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Forum Champion

Thanked 1,648 Times in 1,038 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeManBlue View Post
Jeez. Glad they were numbskulls and didn't get your bike. Also glad the cops sound reasonably interested in helping you in the future.

As was mentioned crime is an unfortunate reality in my opinion, and bike thefts happen in good neighborhoods and bad. (I have to wonder what kind of cash stealing a $5K bike would get you, but you clearly weren't dealing with the sharpest tools in the shed so perhaps they hadn't thought that through either.)

A gixxer friend of mine had his bike stolen three times. The first was from outside his low-rent apartment as Spacep0d mentioned--and it was uncovered and off a major street so a lot of people saw it. That one was his bad. The second time he thinks he was followed, so when he parked in front of his parents house one night (in a nice neighborhood in the hills, I might add) it was gone three hours later. The third was ironically from the parking lot of a reputable self storage business in broad daylight. He went to his unit and in under thirty minutes it was gone. Security camera clearly got the license of the van, but the plate was stolen. He gave up on riding.

Another friend of mine had his 1199 Panigale stolen out of a locked storage garage. Professionals, who had found a way to stake out higher-end bikes stored in that area. What I take from all of that is that if real thieves want a bike they can get it. So I keep full coverage on my bikes, keep them out of view and hopefully secure enough that a real thief moves on to an easier target.
That's pretty much my take on things. If they really want it(and aren't retarded,) they're going to get it. There's a hard counter to pretty much everything except insurance. This is why I keep comprehensive coverage on my car and GSX-R. The cruiser I just have bare basic liability due to it being worth practically nothing and weighing currently 900+ lbs. It was said that thieves generally only make around 10-20% of the bike's value when selling as a whole bike or parts so it's interesting to note that there they did a lot of work and had a lot of risk for $500 split two or more ways.

2016 Yamaha WR250R (Team Yamaha Blue)
2007 Yamaha R1 (Team Yamaha Blue)
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 05:11 PM
Post Whore

OP, could you post the CCTV vid of the incident? It'll be an interesting video to watch.
tebowned likes this.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 05:25 PM
Seasoned Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggae5 View Post
I'd have to disagree with that. In the 55 years I've owned motorcycles I've only owned a place with a garage maybe 7 of those years. And that was the only time I've been robbed.
I've been on motorcycle forums since the internet was invented. One thing that is common in the majority of thefts is a bike being stored outside. There are always exceptions, and there are always people who have beat the odds and managed to not get a bike stolen. But the world has seen enough to comfortably generalize that store your bike outside = get your bike stolen.

Is getting full insurance coverage the answer? Not really. The world is full of people who can't afford a place with a garage. Then said person wants a motorcycle, a new one. That person pays more because they have to finance it. The loan company requires full insurance coverage. But the insurance company knows that 1) this is a young inexperienced person who is likely to crash, 2) this person lives in an apartment that doesn't have a garage, and 3) it's a high crime area. So the rates are triple what they might be for other riders.

What it comes down to is that a person who can't afford a motorcycle and the place to store it ends up paying 3 times the amount of a person who could pay cash for it and keep it in a garage. It's ironic and dumb.

The best piece of advice for people who have to store a bike outside is to buy bikes that nobody wants to steal.

Like that, hahah, sorry. But I'd rock a ratted out 1996 Katana myself. Or man up and store your bike in the living room of your first floor apartment. That's what the previous owner of my 675R did.
tebowned likes this.

Zaph - Retired racer
My old CCS Ultralight Thunderbike [
]
Action shots [
] [
] [
]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page