Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

Battery Tender Pigtail

26K views 82 replies 30 participants last post by  swimmer_spe 
#1 ·
I got tired of pulling the side panels and removing the seat and stuff just to get to my battery when I wanted to put it on my tender. At first I thought that I might not be able to find a good place to route the pigtail, but on closer inspection I found a route on the left side of the bike. That route works out great because there is an edge where the pigtail's end can rest in. Now all I have to do is remove the pigtail cap and hook up the tender. Easy Pessy!
Sorry, little things make me happy!

#3 ·
The dealership that I bought the bike from automatically installs those connectors. They ran it on the right side of the bike and zip-tied it to my right passenger peg connector thing. :D

#6 ·
Picturesssssssss please

#17 ·
I fed it up through the back so its safely in the rear seat storage http://www.motorcycle.com/mobile
very wise. this is where i positioned my BMW power plug also, keeps it out of the weather and one less thing for passers-by to want to touch and play around with on your bike while your not there

#26 ·
just be very careful with the wires, they can get tangled up in the handlebars and jam / reduce the ability to turn, i have a ventura rack and on it i throw one of my hustler bags & run a cable from under the seat into the bag & charge what ever i want while riding, it keeps everything away from me & out of harms way

#29 ·
I did exactly the same on my bike...looks so good

#34 ·
Since I had the bike apart I decided to take a few pictures of the route of the pigtail on my bike. With the fairing installed you cannot see it at all but it is easy to get to and this location works great.

Attachments

#35 ·
Thank you.

I've realised that my charger has clamps on rather than a push-on plug, so I probably only need a positive pig tail and I can clamp the negative side to the frame.

#36 ·
I've sorted this, I bought 2 x Optimate pigtails and then a tamiya connector. The Tamiya connector is back to front so the black lead is actually positive.

Anyway, I did one of the bikes today, connected the pigtail then plugged in the tamiya 'fly lead' - put the chargers negative clamp on the pillion footpeg and the other on the tamiya 'negative' lead. Worked nicely :) So now I only need take the pillion seat off to access the Optimate plug to charge the bikes.

Might do the other bike over the weekend.

I should probably swap the leads on the below that red is actually live, but I don't want to knacker the Tamiya connector. I've taped up the red lead so I can't use it by mistake.

Total cost was about £11!

*edit*

just thought, I could swap the banana plugs over, but that might be even more confusing lol.

#37 ·
Whatever you do, make sure you are using a fuse with the positive wire.

#42 · (Edited)
I'm a she not a he ;)

The live has a fuse, it's just that the molex lead I bought has the black and red wires the wrong way around as it was designed for an RC car :)

I've taped up the lead I don't need, at some point I may swap the colours round on the molex fly lead.

#44 ·
I've swapped the leads on the molex connector and fitted the second optimate pigtail to the other bike. :)

Sorry the pic is sideways I'm on my phone.

Attachments

#45 ·
Looking to install or have pig tails installed during first service but are they necessary?

About how many days would I not have to use the bike to need to plug it in?

I am in S Florida so I tend to ride every day or every other day.

If on a 2 week business trip will I still be ok without charging.

#46 ·
high heat and really low temps aren't good for batteries. That being said, IMO, I think your bike will be fine after two weeks if it is garaged. Just consider though how cheap this device is and how convenient it is to charge or jump start your bike with it, especially if you are away from home, without the need of removing the side fairings and seat just to get to the battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.