Radical Suspension Mod - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Radical Suspension Mod

So, here is a separate thread for my planned(Radical Suspension Mod), which should be a damn site easier to bring to market than my radical engine mod which is still in development.

I will attach some pictures to offer a clearer understanding but in short it's a front suspension replacement that only takes a few hours to fit and eliminates the traditional front forks that compress and flex under breaking. It is a halfway house between the simplicity of the conventional steering and the complexity of hub centre steer.

The advantage of Hub centre steer is that the braking forces are taken into the frame but require a very expensive modification to the frame or a new one, such as the The Vyrus 985 C3.

Where my design differs is that I was really only concentrating on how the brake force applied to the caliper as it is bolted to the fork can be used to force the bottom scissor leg to open up and stand the bike up, rather than litting it compress. some weight transfer will still give some compression but at present, there is nothing helping the anti-dive but with my design, a great deal will be added to the load by transferring all of the forces that the brake caliper presently receives (and is wasted) into upward force.

this means the spring rates and shock absorbing can be softer for general suspension as it will naturally stiffen up as soon as you hit the brakes.

Also, with the dynamics of a chassis, the wheelbase lengthens with any compression from weight transfer, making the bike more stable as apposed to shortening as conventional geometry does.

Finally, by making at attach to the triple trees in the conventional way, there should be the same level of 'feel' from the road to the hands which the mega expensive hub steering systems have been known to mask.

The first picture shows only one side replaced so you can see how it is a simple replacement fit while the second image shows both sides changed and a representation of how the brake may fit.

Your thoughts on this people and the Ninja 300 is the first bike this is going to be trialed on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-SUS-Ass-001-00.JPG (214.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg sv650-fork-assy_asm.image2.JPG (152.0 KB, 29 views)

Find something that works, make it better, break it, fix it, repeat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 11:51 PM

I'm sure ther are many other dynamics involved, but I would not want my forks extending or resisting compression on the racetrack. One of the key advantages of forks compressing on the brakes is that it quickens the steering, meaning you can square corners up or turn in faster. Good racers will essentially use the front brake to manipulate the chassis geometry to suit their desire line.

2015 Ninja 300 Green
2013 Aprilia Tuono V4R APRC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Josh_357 For This Useful Post:
kingsley wright (05-27-2017)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Well, I have done some research on this and from the data, it does improve breaking and stability whilst improving ride so I thought I'd give a set a go, take it on a track day and compare it. If it's better, make some. If it's not, well, it looks cool and is different but I think it's worth proving one way or the other and won't cost a great deal of time and effort to knock a set up.

Personally, it makes sense to me and if Bimota think its worth making (see picture thumbnail) then it must have some merit, other than just being different.

My workshop is still upside-down after moving two weeks ago but give me a couple of months and I'll make a pair and see what they feel like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (9.4 KB, 27 views)

Find something that works, make it better, break it, fix it, repeat.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:25 AM
Seasoned Vet

It will probably be hard to beat a well-tuned simpler, more rigid looking, lighter fork setup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page