Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

ClutchDumper's Bolt Sh*t on Series

17K views 49 replies 10 participants last post by  ClutchDumper 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

If you haven't seen me around the forum, I'm a first year rider with a 2013 Ninja 300 non-abs Pearl Stardust White. I've owned the bike since october of 2016 and have done a few cosmetic changes as well as performance upgrades. But with my new BKmotos finished and being shipped to me as we speak, I can finally stop holding off and all the parts I put aside to finally install once these headlights come in. As of now, my bike has the following already installed:

Shogun Carbon Spools Ninja 250

Techspec Tank Grips and Tank protector

GIpro Gear Indicator (will be reinstalled with new inner fairing)

TST Integrated Tail Light, Elite Fender eliminator, license plate light, and flasher relay

Woodcraft clip-ons

ASV Levers (Shorty brake, Long clutch)

OEM Seat Cowl

R6 Throttle Tube
Left Bar End mirror

Triple Tree Cover

K&N Air Filter

Yoshimura Rearset Brackets

Fork Cap covers

Rokform Handlebar Phone Mount

And lastly some decals for added horsepower.

Of course, I do also follow proper maintenance on my chain, sprocket, and soon will be doing an oil change and valve adjustment. But as of right now, my bike sits on pitbull front and rear stands. The following will explain why they have been for the past two weeks. I have yet to install:

Bkmoto Ninja 636 complete projector headlights (636 because once I upgrade to a 636, it'll still fit)

OEM Black Headlight Cowl and Middle Tail Fairing (inspired by 2017 white ninja 300)

Zero Gravity Light Smoke Double Bubble Windscreen
Inner fairings (cut to install BKmoto Switches and gear indicator)

Powder Coated Wheels (Pearl White)

Bridgestone Battlax s20 Evo (150 rear/110 front) (Tire letters painted)

New All Balls wheel bearings

90 Degree Valve Stems

Driven Captive Wheel Spacers

CustomTaylor33 Red Reflective Rim Tape

Indonesian Swingarm cover and Tire Hugger

Dark Smoke Vinyl Tint for Front Turn Indicators

Sato Racing Left Hook

Yoshimura Exhaust Bracket

Driven Halo Fuel Base and Cap

These all will hopefully be installed within one week. They are all literally sitting in my room just waiting for my wheels to be done powdercoating and the BKmotos to come in the mail. And of course, there are more I want to add onto the list, but that'll be it for now. At this point, I dont plan on selling the bike but just getting a 2nd. Hope you guys enjoy following my bolt sh*t on series. Any questions or suggestions would kindly be appreciated. Here's some recent pics of the bike before these coming mods.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you!

The yoshimura rearset brackets really compliment the woodcraft clip-ons well. They're a cheap alternative to getting actual rearsets. I like the slightly more aggressive feel they give me and it feels just a step closer to a 600. The only complaint I would have would be the brake line for the reservoir almost crimping. But so far I've had no problem.

As for the wheels, I'm hoping to pick them today and hopefully get all the parts and tires on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Thanks! According to his terms and conditions, he gives a 1 year warranty on his products. From what I heard, he responds very quickly if something isn't working and will send you a new one if needed. Something I just realized though was that he didn't include corner lights which I included in my order. I did email him asking if its possible to remove them but I didn't say I wanted them gone lol I should've been more clear but as you can see in the pic, there is just an open hole for where the corners should be. So I'm holding off on installing them until I can get them from bkmoto but he hasnt replied since wednesday. I'll probably just take the grommets from my stock headlight but if you ever plan on working with him, be really thorough with what you want.

#9 ·
Today preparation took more time than expected and was only able to knock out a few things. So I had to repainted my tire letters today. Lesson learned: don't do it with the tires off the wheels. Mounting tires will just destroy all your hard work. After that, I applied the customtaylor33 rim tape. Super easy with the precut strips. I then pushed in the driven captive spacers and mounted the wheels onto the bike. And I gotta say, the result is freakin beautiful. I took so long admiring that I only got to install the sato left hook and the driven halo gas base and cap. The gas cap literally took seconds to install... The bkmotos will hopefully be done tomorrow. I already unraveled the wiring and I'm already confused. But for now, enjoy these pics!

#13 ·
So the thing is I only got the left because I bought a Yoshimura Muffler Bracket to replace the right side. But turns out it doesnt work with my Leo Vince Slip-on. So I wont get to use it until I get my two brothers full system which it does work with. So right now Im running with one passenger peg on the right and this sato hook on the left LOL

#14 ·
Update: 4/24

So as of now all I have left to install are
Vinyl Tint for front indicators
New guage cluster fairing with GIpro and Drilled holes for BKmoto switches
Bkmoto headlights (Just need to plug in wires)
Indonesian Tire Hugger
And the Double Bubble Windscreen

Some complications with the wiring have surfaced and I'm just confused with what goes where, how to hide the ballasts, and just figuring out how to keep the wiring clean under the fairings. Also I tried getting the vinyl on the indicators but with all its curvature, its not able to stretch and not have any creasing. So I'm gonna try to tackle that again tonight with a heatgun. Just placed an order on Primenow for some black sugru so hopefully, I'll be able to also dremel and drill what I need to on the gauge cluster fairing and glue it all to place.

#15 ·
Got home from work and was able to get back to working on my bike lol so I got all the fairings off, swapped out some rubber grommets and brackets to my new fairings, and took the stock headlight out.

So my question before about removing the gauge cluster has been confirmed! I pulled it out no problem and the miles did not reset. The clock however did fall behind a few minutes.

Once I got the gauge cluster onto the new fairing, I dremeled out a hole for my gear indicator and applied two packs of Sugru to hold it all in place and fill out some gaps. Turned out great and looks much better than having it in the middle of my tachometer and having wire visible.

I then finished off this part by drilling the two 19mm holes for my bkmoto switches. I read somewhere that it was 20mm but it's just a slightly snug fit and worked fine.

#16 ·
With the fairings off I was also able to get to the indicators. remove 3 screws holding it in, twist out the bulb, and you're left with the part you want to tint. I used Vinyl tint film which can be found here : https://www.luxeautoconcepts.net/products/luxe-vinyl-tint
And it worked out pretty well. A heat gun made life so much easier, but I didn't perfect it. There are some creases but I'm sure with some patience you can get it perfect. Here's some pics to compare stock to this tint. I got the dark smoke tint and I personally like it. Maybe next time would've went with a matte finish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#17 · (Edited)
Update 4/26
So unfortunately, I had to send back my BKmoto wire harness to get it redone. Reason is I want to be able to control the halos, the demon eyes, and the hids all individually. So I went to the post office, paid for shipping, and then paid him $37 to get the rewiring, add the switch, and shipping back to me. He's been great with customer service AFTER he ships you the lights. He won't reply to you when he's working on them though lol so I was quoted a few days once he gets the lights. We'll see how accurate that estimation was. However, I did find the corner lights in the 2nd ballast box! So before contacting him, make sure youre absolutely sure there's a problem lol

So since I couldn't get my bkmotos installed, I decided to use my stock headlight, replace the corner lights with the LED ones bkmoto provided, and put all my fairings back on along with my new black headlight cowl and and black middle tail fairing. I love how the colors just fit along with all the other fairings so well. The Light Smoke zero Gravity Double Bubble also looks great. I was unsure if I wanted the dark Smoke or Light Smoke but this is perfect. So my last part of the project will be the Indonesian swingarm cover which needs to be repainted and installed. But until that and my bkmoto wire harness comes back, I'm finally back on the road after 3 weeks!

#19 ·
Thanks! The gear indicator was very helpful when I was first learning to ride, and I'm sure is still useful to skillful riders. But to me it's more as a luxury and keeps me from shifting to 7th gear haha

And for my front turn signals, no they're stock bulbs. To me, they were pretty bright as is. And is almost the same with the vinyl tint. But it was purely for aesthetic purposes.

#20 · (Edited)
Picked up a set of Galfer Stainless Steel Brake Lines from my local retailer. I got red lines, black banjos, black heat shrink, and red bolts. Since technically this was a "special order" it took about a week after ordering to receive them. Hopefully I'll be able to install these myself, if not I know where to refer to/ask questions (here). My only experience with working on brakes is replacing fluid. Wish me luck!

Also an update on my indonesian swingarm cover. It's been a huge PITA. I've been trying to find a way to bond the tire hugger and swingarm cover together without having to drill any holes and find bolts to keep it together. I was thinking rivets might do the trick but I'm concerned with it cracking when I try to install them. So I'm thinking to just use bondo as an adhesive and then sand it down and repaint the whole thing.. And I tried test fitting it while I had the bike lifted and it seems I have to install it without spools on, cut off the rear brake line brackets (or cut a hole around the brackets on the swingarm cover, and eyeball where to drill the spool holes... We'll see how it goes when I get around to it.

#21 ·
After two months of having my swingarm cover sitting in my garage, I finally finished painting, modifying, patching, drilling, building upon, and putting together my Swingarm cover/tire hugger from Indonesia. It was not perfect when it came. Definitely not just bolt on.

There were a lot of issues regarding fitment and how accurate the predrilled holes were.

My first trial fitment showed me that the rear brake line guides needed to be cut off in order to be able to have a better fit. It also showed me that I needed to remove the rear brake line in order to slide the swingarm cover in. So in doing that, I found it a good opportunity to upgrade my brake lines. Here's a picture of how the rear brake line brackets were before and after I cut/grinded it down.

See last post to know which lines I got.

After grinding down the brackets, I literally had to eyeball where the spool holes were and just drilled until I was able to see through it. I forgot which drill bit I used but I did miss once while trying to find it. Also, the original chain guard holes did not match up with the predrilled holes on my swingarm cover. And because the hole closest to the rear wheel had too much clearance I decided to completely patch it up and make a new hole for the hole closest to the engine. To patch the holes, I used bondo body filler and sanded it down with 80 grit sandpaper. Here are some pics showing the original holes and the aftermath of patching and drilling new holes.

So finally, after drilling all the holes, I could finally do my last trial fitment with spools installed. The swingarm cover went between the spool and spacer when installing it. After lifting it up on the rear stand, I noticed there wasn't enough clearance for the chain and sprocket nuts to spin freely. Suprisingly, it was able to cut off a piece without having to repaint afterwards. Here are some pics showing what it was like before and after my cutting.

After doing that, I grabbed the tire hugger and drilled a 1/4 inch hole inside where it meets with the swingarm cover, and placed the tire hugger where I wanted it to be. When it looked symmetrical enough, I marked both ends of the tire hugger and drilled a hole on the swingarm cover to bolt the pieces together.

But the tire hugger wasn't a perfect fit either. The left and right sides had gaps between the pieces that were too big to ignore. So the bondo body filler came to the rescue again to build upon the tire hugger and make a nice flat fit. The stuff works great but needs to be worked with fast or else it'll harden the way you don't want it to be. It also took a lot of sanding to get it good enough. But even after this it still wasn't perfect. But it was enough to not have the piece crooked. I then used 3M double sided tape to bond the tire hugger and swingarm cover together while on the bike. I did this on the bike because the swingarm cover is stretched out while on the bike. While it's off, it warps inward which wouldn't give me the shape it's supposed to be. After sticking it on, the 3M tape was still pretty noticeable.

And then comes the solution I should've thought of since the beginning. Freakin Sugru. It's literally a life saver. There's nothing this stuff can't do. It took me three packets to bond and cover the gap between the tire hugger and swingarm cover. And the end result isn't the prettiest, but it was the best I could come up with. Here's some pics of before and after using sugru.
look closely since it's the only pic I grabbed before sugru.

Coming back to it in the morning, sugru completely hardened and concluded the install for me.

In conclusion, after all this struggle of having to figure this stuff out on my own with no instructions or install video, I'm pretty proud of the outcome. I've never done anything like this before and it taught me a lot in the process. Overall, it really brings the bike together since before it just seemed like the rear end didn't have enough white to it and it needed something. This did it and it's beautiful. Full pics of the bike coming soon. The bolt shit on series isn't done yet.

Any questions are welcome!

#22 ·
So to get my bike back on the road again (for now) I needed to get my galfer rear brake line installed. Only the rear for now since I'll have more time Sunday to do the front. But my god, this was possibly the easiest install of all time. Definitely easier than my slip on. Because after learning how to bleed the brakes (the hard way) this was a breeze. Literally hand tighten the banjo bolts down and move the line around to how you want it to be, then tighten it. Bleed the brakes until all the air is out. And done. Since my swingarm cover doesn't have any brake line guides, I ordered one from spieglar for $0.95 US and it should be arriving tomorrow.

Here's the link:

Unfortunately they have a flat shipping rate of $8 US and that was pretty ridiculous. I'm sure you can find a spare somewhere but I didn't have the patience. I'll install the clamp when I get it by drilling 1/4 inch holes into the swingarm cover and using a bolt and locking but to secure it. Here's some pics of how it is now installed and how I want it to be with the clamp installed.

#23 ·
Okay so after the first day of riding with my swingarm cover, some scratching has happened but it doesn't come to a surprise. Except for the mark my sato racing hook left on the left side.. I didn't think my rear shock compressed as much but guess so. Here's some pics of the scratching and marks caused by clearance and the chain.

Also the rear brake has slightly improved after installing the galfer line. The guide bracket came in and will be installed along with the front galfer line.

#25 ·
Got the front galfer line installed and it was just as easy as the rear with a little bit of patience. It was the perfect fit even with woodcraft clip ons being slightly lower than stock. I also installed the spieglar brake line guide with two 1/4 inch machine screws and locking nuts. A few neoprene washers to help with the uneven surfaces and worked out great. I did have to bend the guide slightly but the manipulability of the bracket made the curvature just right. I do kinda wish the line was shorter since it was intended to be installed without the swingarm cover but it works just fine. Here's some pics of today's work.

I'm also about 150 miles from the 7600 mile valve adjustment. Hope it's worth it!

#26 ·
Took a ride today and the front brake has very much improved! Not so much in stopping power, but squeezing the lever definitely was a lot firmer than with stock. No squishiness at all! Honestly this should've been one of the first mods I could've done. It's pretty inexpensive and does a lot. I can't imagine how much better my brakes will be after I get new EBC sintered pads.

#28 ·
Update 5/31/16

So I sent my bkmoto wire harness back to Boris on 4/26 and including shipping days, its been over a month. He quoted me a couple of days, but I'm expecting another month at this point. I still have the bkmoto assembly in a box at home, but plan to install it without the wiring anyway just to get it on there. I also have an order shipping to me right now from the same vendor I got my swing arm cover from. It's quite new, but its the headlight cowl that was custom made from scratch to look like a ZX10R. Can't wait to show you guys once its in.

#30 · (Edited)
Oh man... I might be taking this build too far lol but the want to mod is hard to resist. So here's what came in the mail yesterday. I placed this order on May 5th and got here on June 12th from Indonesia. It is inspired by the newest zx10r and custom made with fiberglass. It ended up costing me double due to having to pay shipping. And kindly enough he decided to give me a free winglet that he also makes. It's made by the same person that made my swingarm cover. So unfortunately the quality has some issues. But it seems easy enough to improve. The paint seems to be nice so I won't be touching it. But as for the led, I'm pretty sure it's a white LED but the wires are VERY short and I have no idea how I'm gonna get power to it. I want to get a switch similar to the ones that come with the bkmoto lights to be able to control it. But the way he actually integrated this light just shows how home made this is. Some foam tape, and hot glue to hold it down and on the front side, foam tape alone is what is keeping the plastic over the LEDs. So I was thinking to maybe to switch out the LED strip to a red one or even better yet, an LED that has multiple color settings. Or I could put it behind the steel mesh so it can illuminate the inside of the cowl. And/or if I want to remove the steel mesh and paint that red. There are many ideas that come to mind. After all this is done. I'm thinking to cover the foam tape with some more fiber glass when this is over.
I'm excited, but it would've been even better if I had my bkmoto wire harness... I don't think I can wait but we'll see. Here's a preview!

#32 ·
Thanks! The thing I love about this bike is that the choices for mods are endless... Definitely so many more opportunities to learn/do things to this bike vs. a 600cc+ bike that already comes with the luxuries.

#33 ·
Update 7/18/17

So it's been almost three months since sending back my bkmoto wiring harness... it's literally held up all my other projects for so long that I'm actually starting to think about reverting my bike back to stock and getting a new bike. I test ride a couple of the new Kawasaki 650 models and even the z900. And jeez that z900 really made me itch for a new bike. The power was unbelievably controllable and felt perfect on the demo ride. It makes me even more eager to test ride a super sport since it's pretty close to 1000cc. But til then I still have a lot of money to save up on and a couple more parts waiting to be installed. So let the build continue.

Here I have the zx10r front headlight cowl that I ordered from the same vendor that gave me the swing arm cover. It's been sitting here for a while but I just took some pieces off and improved it with some sugru and planning on installing a new red led strip I got from illumimoto. The instresting thing about this part is that it doesn't have the bracket mounts like how the oem cowl is mounted. We'll see how it goes and if anything, I can probably mount it with sugru lol Can't wait for this install! And also, I got a separate kit from illumimoto for a nice accessory lighting affect for my bike. I really suggest this kit for only $40 and it's simplicity. And from what the website says, is the brightest underglow kit available. Here's some pics of my headlight cowl and pics of the accessory lighting will be posted soon.

#34 ·
I got the cowl on! Some improvising had to be done with sugru, and I had to learn how to solder in the process but it came out great! I also added two LED strips inside the inner fairing to give a nice glow through the center vent. I'm pretty proud of the results and have 5 LED strips left to out onto the rest of the bike. Unfortunately Sugru takes a full day to fully harden so i have to wait until I move on. Here's what I've got done so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.