Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

Cheap eBay Rearsets Review. Very Good!

19K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  yipsama 
#1 ·
Hey, I just took a risk on a set of eBay rearsets. I didn't see any reviews for this particular type, so I took a shot.

The fit is 100% perfect. No problems during installation whatsoever. The quality is great too, and I'm pretty surprised they were only $100. The best part is that you can retain the original rear brake light switch (kind of).

Here are some pictures:

The machining is great, and there are no clearance issues. They include all necessary hardware, except for the brake light. In order to get the rear brake light to work, you will need to buy a M5 bolt and a M12x1.5 nut.

There are some install notes I want to make. In order to attach the shift rod linkage, try the other connectors (they include 2 sets). For the rear brake light, buy a screw/bolt that fits into the brake lever. Then use the supplied spring to attach the rear brake light switch to the screw/bolt. Attach the brake light switch to the supplied bracket with the OEM nut, and another nut you will have to buy.

Overall, definitely buy if you're interested.

See less See more
#8 ·
The full weight of the bike was on the foot peg as the bike slid across the track into the gravel. The foot peg took the damage without transferring it to the bike or the rear sets. I replaced the foot peg for like $10.

These are perfect quality rear sets for like a $100. You can't really beat them.

Attachments

#9 ·
Love the color combination of the bike!

I've got the same generic CNC aluminum rearsets, more or less, for about the same price. They haven't been trouble free but I've managed. I fixed the brake light issue with a longer spring and some fine-tuning. The biggest issue is that the main bolt which serves as the axis for the gear lever wasn't properly attached from the factory, and while riding at night at 90 mph or so, around 50 miles from home, I tried to switch gear and the lever wasn't there. Scary as hell while your in fast trafic and can't see anything since it's dark. The lever was dangling there hitting the floor hanging by the linkage, so thankfully I didn't lose it. The seller refused to take responsibility which sucked. I had to ride 50 miles in 6th gear at night in Florida traffic. Not fun. I actually didn't think I would make it but this bike is actually usable stuck in 6th gear. Who would have guessed. Moral of the story, use loctite.

I also had some clearance issues, so I had to move the shift lever out with some spacers and a longer bolt.

Besides that, I'm happy with it. The gear changes are super crisp and short. I can't stand OEM gear changes anymore thanks to it. Being able to adjust the position is also great.

I don't have any other picture at hand where the rearsets are visible, so this pic will have to do. I was trying out the new pizza bag I modded. There's a post for it if anyone's curious.

Attachments

#11 ·
YES! If you complain that your bolts came out, then it's your fault for not putting loctite. These bikes vibrate, and bolts can loosen over time regardless of brand.

If you are using rear sets, you need to loctite the bolts!

#19 ·
Those are the same ones I have. They're adjustable so just play with them. I put them too high to begin with and my knees were not fitting into the tank cutout right, but since I moved them down and back a notch I love them and can't stand sloppy OEM gears anymore.

#20 ·
Looks like your ebay rearsets are installed in a good way.
I have bought these eaby rearsets as well, but I cannot figure out how the brake side should be installed.
Do you have pictures of the back on your brake side rearset? It's the brake system and brake light I don't know how to connet them with the rearset.

I am also trying to make a video of how to install these ebay rearsets. I would be really appreciate if you can show the right way to install them.

Thanks so much!

#21 ·
I have these and have swapped them out several times. I attached some pics. Secure the master cylinder with 2 bolts, then use one of the two uniquely long bolts and spacers to create a lever arm that runs through the cylinder plunger to pull it down. Same concept for the electrical brake switch. I had to bend the spring to get it to fit properly.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.