Another garage door opener install - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Another garage door opener install

I've been wanting to install a garage door opener on the 300 for a while now, however I'm really picky about appearances I wanted an OE look. I noticed on the headlight switch block that there was a little square that looked like a switch belonged there. Looked high and low to see what other kawi models had a switch there and I really only needed to look 2 feet to my 06 zx6r that was parked next to the 300. My zx6r has a lap timer switch that fit in the blank spot of the 300's switch block! Of course I'm not gonna rob it from my zx6r so I ebay'd a switch block for $10. I opened up the new used switch block and removed the individual switch, held in by 1 screw.

Ok so on to the install onto the 300, with pictures.

So heres an image of the garage door opener i'm using:

I wanted to make it detachable from the bike so i needed to add a connector. I decided to use a 3.5mm stereo jack because i had some on hand they're compact.

Reassembled the clicker, now to get it on the bike. Making things look factory requires a bit more work...

I removed the gas tank so I could plan the wire routing.

The red circle part is where the connectors for the switch block are.

This is the wire I used:

I ran it along the planned path, following the factory harness as closely as possible. The most difficult part was probably fishing it through the sleeve that switch block wiring goes through.
The wire runs from the switch block to the tail of the bike.

Remove the screw shown and a little black plastic cover will come out where the new switch will go.

I forgot to take pictures of the new switch installed but its pretty straight forward. Screw holds it in place, it has 2 contacts that you solder the wires to.

Reassembled the bike and heres what it looks like.

The garage door opener in the tail with the wire plugged in.

The switch block after adding the switch.

Tested to make sure everything works right, found i needed to move the wires inside the switch block a little because they were blocking the turn signal, but other than that - perfect!

Since the switch just goes to a connector, I could plug it into anything that could make use of a momentary on switch. In the future, I plan to transfer the garage door opener guts into a sealed box so I dont have to worry about water. And maybe use a more weather proof connector.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wire with plug.jpg (145.6 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg Wire route big.jpg (210.9 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg Switch block completed.jpg (182.4 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg Inside switch block.jpg (183.2 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg GO with jack.jpg (132.7 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg GO wired.jpg (129.5 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg GO wired 2.jpg (148.1 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg GO in tail.jpg (140.4 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg Garage opener.jpg (141.9 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg Connector.jpg (223.1 KB, 164 views)

Last edited by jon0886; 11-08-2015 at 07:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jon0886 For This Useful Post:
BatmanTKE (11-09-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 08:44 AM

Garage
Kudos man, that's both a very useful and clean mod.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 01:13 PM
Veteran

Garage
Looks good. Now you're going to be sitting outside your garage door on your zx6r clicking the lap timer waiting forever, though!

Engineer rocketing through time and space on a Ninja 300 ABS

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 09:04 AM
Veteran

Garage
Gonna attempt this VERY soon.. I wonder if the signal is interrupted if the remote is in my tail end but we'll have to see. However I want to get it done the first time with a waterproof box. As for wiring, he used an aux cord?? O.o I have plenty of 18 gauge wire if that'd work too hopefully

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2013 White Ninja 300 / ZX3R
Too many aftermarket parts to list.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 10:45 AM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchDumper View Post
Gonna attempt this VERY soon.. I wonder if the signal is interrupted if the remote is in my tail end but we'll have to see. However I want to get it done the first time with a waterproof box. As for wiring, he used an aux cord?? O.o I have plenty of 18 gauge wire if that'd work too hopefully

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have to admit that this is one of my favorite mods. It is very useful and saves a lot of time when I go to leave/arrive with my bike. Before this mod, I would usually get suited up, hop on the bike, roll the bike out of the garage only to have to remove my gloves to get the garage door opener out of my pocket, then close the door and stow the opener.

Also, there were a few times when I was on my way home and it was just beginning to rain. I wouldn't have gotten wet except for the time I sat in the driveway fumbling for the remote.

Now all that is in the past. I can leave/arrive just like KITT parking in his mobile command station.

Here is how I did it... I was lucky that my garage FOB was powered by a 12V battery. I power mine from the bike so it will never run out of battery.

As for placement, the signal should be strong enough to hide it anywhere on the bike and still function well. Also, your 18ga wire will be far better than the small gauge wires in an aux audio cable (not that there's anything wrong with that), so don't worry about that.
ClutchDumper likes this.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:23 PM

I am having a hard time looking for the switch that will fit in the handlebar. Can you help me get the model code of that switch? Thanks.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 11:27 PM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by knives View Post
I am having a hard time looking for the switch that will fit in the handlebar. Can you help me get the model code of that switch? Thanks.

You can't just get the switch by itself. You have to steal it from the left bar control assembly off of a 06 zx6r. In total I paid about $10 for mine off eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 White Ninja 300 / ZX3R
Too many aftermarket parts to list.
The Following User Says Thank You to ClutchDumper For This Useful Post:
knives (06-20-2017)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:31 PM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
You can't just get the switch by itself. You have to steal it from the left bar control assembly off of a 06 zx6r. In total I paid about $10 for mine off eBay.
That is what I was finding too. Here are all the bikes which use that part.

46091 Housing Control Assy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg parts.jpg (140.2 KB, 11 views)
ClutchDumper likes this.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 05:02 AM

Quote:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you brother, I thought the switch is commercially available. I guess I really have to dig in some junkyards to find one.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 10:27 AM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by knives View Post
Thank you brother, I thought the switch is commercially available. I guess I really have to dig in some junkyards to find one.
You can waste time looking in scrapyards, or buy it new from eBay for under $20.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page