Indicator Idiot Lights - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

Indicator Idiot Lights

I had my 300 delivered on Saturday & took her out for her first run today.

After the first few turnings, I had to keep cancelling my indicators because the idiot lights - both L & R - were far too dim to be visible in the daylight conditions, which was slightly cloudy & dull. The neutral light, which is the same colour as the indicator idiot lights, was fairly easy to see and the light intensity is probably more than twice the intensity of the indicator idiot lights.

Is this the same for your bikes or is mine faulty?

It's one of my common moans that something that seems as simple as providing idiot lights that can actually be seen in most daylight conditions seems to be beyond many manufacturers.

Moan over.

The rest of the run was fun but running-in is such a pain ..... !!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,965 Times in 2,125 Posts
Garage
the secret to knowing when the indicators are running is to use your imagination a little. when you ride, draw a pair of indicators in the back of your mind as well as a gear shift indicator.

use them

*a lot*

after a while it will become 2nd nature and free and transportable to *any* motorcycle you ride in the future

a lot of people have said the indicator light on the dash is too dim, i dont have any issues with it, mind you i very rarely look at it and if im in doubt if its not running, just lift my thumb up a little from near the horn and press the cancel button on the indicators and then thumb return to resting position, just near the horn button to wake cagers up with my compact airhorn

Mounting Stebel Nautilus compact airhorn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 10:14 AM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
I always hit the cancel 2 or 3 times after a turn because sometimes it stays even when you hit the cancel, and yes the turn signal indicators are very dim and hard to see in sunlight..

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 12:29 PM

I also suffer from OCD, GHill762. Lol just kiddin man. I catch myself hitting switch more than once just to be sure. I rarely pay attention to indicator lights on dash.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 12:46 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseBar View Post
I also suffer from OCD, GHill762. Lol just kiddin man. I catch myself hitting switch more than once just to be sure. I rarely pay attention to indicator lights on dash.
lol, no OCD here (far from it actually), I just don't like riding around lookin like a doofus with a blinker on, I've been pulled up on by other bikers to tell me my blinker was still on. dang thing just doesn't want to cancel sometimes (even when you HAVE pushed the button)..
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 12:56 PM

Haha I hear ya.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 01:36 PM
Forum Champion

Thanked 1,648 Times in 1,038 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40120 View Post
I had my 300 delivered on Saturday & took her out for her first run today.

After the first few turnings, I had to keep cancelling my indicators because the idiot lights - both L & R - were far too dim to be visible in the daylight conditions, which was slightly cloudy & dull. The neutral light, which is the same colour as the indicator idiot lights, was fairly easy to see and the light intensity is probably more than twice the intensity of the indicator idiot lights.

Is this the same for your bikes or is mine faulty?

It's one of my common moans that something that seems as simple as providing idiot lights that can actually be seen in most daylight conditions seems to be beyond many manufacturers.

Moan over.

The rest of the run was fun but running-in is such a pain ..... !!!!
As the others have said, just hit cancel after each turn and lane change and you should be fine. In theory you shouldn't have to be constantly looking down at the dash to know what your bike is doing. Also, the light level of the turn signal indicators aren't very bright and I think it's because the bulbs behind them aren't directly behind the indicator pane but actually probably further inward and offset a bit compared to the neutral light.

2016 Yamaha WR250R (Team Yamaha Blue)
2007 Yamaha R1 (Team Yamaha Blue)
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 04:50 PM
Seasoned Vet

I just use the indicator cancel button to shoot lasers at other cars.

*pew pew pew*

The lasers don't work very well, but I rarely leave my indicator on
Vladius likes this.

2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 - Track bike
2011 Yamaha XJ6N - Daily driver
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaveTheCanuck For This Useful Post:
cruizin (03-17-2014), evoryware (03-28-2014), FreelancerMG (03-20-2014)
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,965 Times in 2,125 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheCanuck View Post
I just use the indicator cancel button to shoot lasers at other cars.

*pew pew pew*

The lasers don't work very well, but I rarely leave my indicator on

thanks for the laugh

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 05:58 PM
Seasoned Vet

I have/had a tendency to leave them on so now it's becoming 2nd nature to press it even though I know it's not on lol, it's almost fun pressing it!! You know it was on when you press the button and it has a click feeling to it.

Instagram: aphan_N3

Mods: ASV shorty levers, woodcraft slider spools, techspec tank grip, Plastidipped windshield and passenger rear pegs, delete front reflector, red LED brake light + modulator, Shogun no-cut frame sliders, Diablo Rosso II tire, SSR preload adjusters, Driven clip-ons, fender eliminator kit

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Gears: Shoei Qwest (clear&darksmoke) / SP-2 Alpinestars Glove / Alpinestars GP Pro Jacket / Alpinestars Leather Track pants / Cortech Latigo Boots

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page